This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: River Zora
Today 04:07 AM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 226
Beginner's Setup
Last Post: Matt90
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 352
Hi Everyone....
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:10 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 30
Quarantine tank setup
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 30
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 10:22 PM
» Replies: 124
» Views: 5306
Starter tank with 5 fish
Last Post: Jassy306
Yesterday 09:56 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 337
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: Lee_k
Yesterday 08:43 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Ste's Tank
Last Post: stechappo
Yesterday 08:40 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 333
Water temperature alarm
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Spixi snail
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:01 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 22
Using carbon in external filter
Yesterday 07:38 PM
» Replies: 38
» Views: 299
Tough bristlenose
Yesterday 06:57 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 110
Back to fish keeping
Last Post: ivybell
Yesterday 06:35 PM
» Replies: 117
» Views: 1929
where members live
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 06:18 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 146
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 05:53 PM
» Replies: 742
» Views: 50958

Gravel - to clean or not to clean
When I do a water change I use the siphon to suck up as much of the surface of the gravel to clean amongst it. Should I do this or is it better to let the general detritus left to decompose?
65L
6 Platy 
2 Celestial Pearl Danio 
8 Endlers 
Thanks given by:
It’s a good idea to gravel vac. As you’ll never get all of it some will decompose and help to feed the plants but you don’t want loads as it can make nitrates get high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Gill
Thanks given by:
My gravel is a bit hard to clean, plants rocks and such like in the way. I understand the roots of plants draw nutrients from debris and of course I have about 13 ready made hoovers with the Corys Big Grin
Saying that I sometimes get in with the vac, move the easy decos and ‘dot’ it about it lift up stuff.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Gill
Thanks given by:
I think I've done mine twice in 3 months. It looks pretty clear and I don't have any big, messy fish. The Amanos are like mobile vacuum cleaners.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • Gill
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Jota Wrote: I think I've done mine twice in 3 months.  It looks pretty clear and I don't have any big, messy fish. The Amanos are like mobile vacuum cleaners.

Oh yes, we have the Amano cleaners too  Tongue
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
[-] The following 2 users Like Annie's post:
  • Gill, Jota
Thanks given by:
Hi Gill,

It's not a good idea to leave detritus to decompose. As Cheltgirl says, it may raise the nitrate to an unacceptable level (greater than 20ppm). But it will also raise the phosphate level which, in combination with nitrate, may fuel an algae outbreak. It can also reduce dissolved oxygen to a dangerous level (less than 5ppm). BTW, it's not a good idea to go deep into the gravel layer. It's best to just remove surface detritus. Going deep into the gravel can release a type of bacteria that can cause a bacterial 'bloom' and the water will go cloudy. Whoever said that fishkeeping is easy?  Rolleyes 

L.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LexIcon's post:
  • Gill
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2019, 09:36 PM)LexIcon Wrote: Hi Gill,

It's not a good idea to leave detritus to decompose. As Cheltgirl says, it may raise the nitrate to an unacceptable level (greater than 20ppm). But it will also raise the phosphate level which, in combination with nitrate, may fuel an algae outbreak. It can also reduce dissolved oxygen to a dangerous level (less than 5ppm). BTW, it's not a good idea to go deep into the gravel layer. It's best to just remove surface detritus. Going deep into the gravel can release a type of bacteria that can cause a bacterial 'bloom' and the water will go cloudy. Whoever said that fishkeeping is easy?  Rolleyes 

L.
Thanks, yes I think I’ll carry on as I’ve been doing, getting the siphon to wherever I can get it and cleaning as much as I can.
65L
6 Platy 
2 Celestial Pearl Danio 
8 Endlers 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gill's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
When you do another rescape of the tank, consider sand or a plant substrate as an alternative to gravel. No gravel vac required, just hoover up the bits that sit on the top, done Smile

Takes me very little time to clean my sand or plant substrate tanks, because with sand the detritus sits on top there is more chance the filter will pick it up, and with plant substrate...well there is no need to touch it!
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2019, 09:36 PM)LexIcon Wrote: Hi Gill,

L.

Most fish can tolerate 40ppm Nitrate, being the lesser of the three evils. Lots of us have high levels out of the tap, mine for instance is 38ppm, legal limit is 40ppm. But I use a Nitrate removal filter and a RO unit.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
2 Bristlenose Plecs (how many) and  2 babys.
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
My tap nitrate hovers around 20-30 and the tanks are pretty much that maybe a little higher so don't worry if yours is higher than 20. If yours were rising by 20 or more above your tap level between water changes then you may have a problem that needs looking at.

A gravel vac of the bits you can get to will get the worst of it. Every now and then move bits of décor and vac under them. You'll be fine Smile
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Gill
Thanks given by: