This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 07:54 AM
» Replies: 502
» Views: 14821
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Vale!
Today 07:27 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 130
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: PJN
Today 06:46 AM
» Replies: 743
» Views: 50972
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: River Zora
Today 04:07 AM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 231
Beginner's Setup
Last Post: Matt90
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 363
Hi Everyone....
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:10 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 37
Quarantine tank setup
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 31
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 10:22 PM
» Replies: 124
» Views: 5306
Starter tank with 5 fish
Last Post: Jassy306
Yesterday 09:56 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 338
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: Lee_k
Yesterday 08:43 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 96
Ste's Tank
Last Post: stechappo
Yesterday 08:40 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 335
Water temperature alarm
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 92
Spixi snail
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:01 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 24
Using carbon in external filter
Yesterday 07:38 PM
» Replies: 38
» Views: 302
Tough bristlenose
Yesterday 06:57 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 113

Mis-sold fish
Hey,

I’m new to fish keeping (6 weeks in) and I’ve just discovered that Pets at Home have made me overstock my tank! I followed their point system which said I could have 24 “fish points” in my 40 litre tank. I’ve got 6 gold barbs and 6 zebra danios, and from what I’ve read I now believe I’m overstocked. Is there anything I can do to help my fish?
Thanks given by:
Theres a couple of options.

1) Take them back and try to get a refund on being sold fish that are not suitable for your tank/conditions
2) Rehome the fish
3) Buy a bigger tank!
Thanks given by:
No. 3 is my preferred option - I’m kind of attached. What size tank would I ideally need?
Thanks given by:
Going by internet advice a 90L would be ok for the gold barbs ( 3ft ) but i'd always go with bigger being better. @plankton would you agree on this size?
Thanks given by:
A non-technical answer. Get as big a tank as you have room for or can afford because after a very short time you'll want more fish! It's an addictive hobby. I'm new to the hobby and have a 60l tank. I wish I had more room for a bigger tank and permission from the boss.  Sad
Thanks given by:
Both species would require a tank measuring 3 foot (minimum), length is more important than height.
Danios despite their size are a very active fish and require the space.

Hope it helps
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum, hopefully you can get a suitable solution to your situation, as mentioned above it is addictive and as you say you’re already attached, so a bigger tank sound they way forward if you have the room and cash. You might see a 2nd hand one on the various buy and sell sites.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you get chance post a photo of your tank, we love photos here Wink

Enjoy the forum.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2019, 12:02 PM)fr499y Wrote: Going by internet advice a 90L would be ok for the gold barbs ( 3ft ) but i'd always go with bigger being better. @plankton would you agree on this size?
Hello? You rang?
Yes, I agree. Danios are quite fast and the barbs are bigger than realised, so a 3' (or better still, a 1metre as they are readily available nowadays) is the optimum size.
You can go bigger if you want. Wink Big Grin
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: