This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 10:49 PM
» Replies: 173
» Views: 3162
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 11
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 08:49 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 101
Fry
Last Post: paulellison19
Yesterday 08:08 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 47
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 510
New Users
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 07:58 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 122
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Yesterday 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 320
Urgent please help
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 297
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 76
Sci-Fi
Yesterday 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1168
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 136
Adding Guppy fry
Last Post: plankton
22-05-2019 09:47 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 203
ammonia and plants
Last Post: paulellison19
22-05-2019 07:16 PM
» Replies: 47
» Views: 891
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: plankton
22-05-2019 07:56 AM
» Replies: 98
» Views: 1176
Tank Build Thread
Last Post: Mito
21-05-2019 08:22 PM
» Replies: 37
» Views: 600

Tank Build Thread
That is huge progress! Looking so much better now. The prep work is always the longest rubbish-est job!
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank containing 10 gorgeous goldies Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise rofl Batman Snails X2, 1 Horned Nerite, 1 Tracked Nerite
200L The Barbarium….currently cycling!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
You've done very well so far. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
All looking great, bet you feel good on getting that job moving on Wink
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2019, 08:38 AM)Annie Wrote: All looking great, bet you feel good on getting that job moving on Wink

Abso-flipping-lutely!

I was looking at the base stand last night and this morning.   It struck me that I can build in a little bit of protection for the system, especially since I've decided not to use the Vecton UV steriliser unit, which pretty much frees up half the cabinet.  So, some thinking later...  I decided it's time to make use of some of my man-store of goodies.   In this case, I've got 2 fairly heavy UPS units, and one medium-duty unit.  So I'm figuring on 1 heavy duty unit on the powerhead to keep the water turning, 1 heavy duty unit on a small heater (since the water will be at temp already, I don't need to reheat the tank, just maintain - so a 50w unit just to keep some heat coming), and the medium unit is going to go onto the lights, which only draw 11w anyway.  We've had a couple of power failures since I moved here, and although they weren't too long, why take the chance?   

I also figured out that using a Y piece should let me have both powerheads plumbed in permanently, and I can use a 2-way switch to let me choose which one is powered up at any time.    Still not sure about this, I'd prefer to keep the pipe runs as clean as possible to minimise the effect on water flow, but it's a thought.   It just seems sensible to disaster-proof as much as possible, as long as it doesn't mess with the efficient running of the filter system.

I'm a bit wrecked today - nothing happening this morning, errands to do early to mid afternoon, but this afternoon/evening, if the weather lasts, I'm going to mask up for gloss and get a first coat on the hood bits if I can.  I also want to think about building some more storage into the base, probably on the door insides, so that fish food, meds, testing kits, capture net etc are all right where I need them to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GruntPuppy's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
All sounds like a good plan Smile all moving forward !
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
Thanks given by:
DAMN RAIN!

But eh.  Got the hood bits inside before it rained properly, rather than just spitting...  But it didn't rain.

At least I won't have to scrape off so many flies with the bits curing inside...  My ex is out of the flat for the afternoon tomorrow, I'll put the second coat on inside the flat then Tongue

And - progress.  Another bit of the puzzle has arrived, an Eheim spray bar, an Eheim inlet pipe (which I don't need, but eh) and 2 x 2.4m lengths of 16/22 black Eheim pipe for £20 all in, including postage.  Brand new, another eBay bargain.   The normal package is £17, the chap charged me £3 extra to put in a second piece of piping.

I've figured out an easy - and safer - way of doing nice pipe bends, but I'll try it myself before I post it in forums, and take pics when I do.  

All in all, not a bad day Big Grin

Pics - after first coat of gloss applied, before the damn rain spots had me panicking and dragging  everything inside.   I haven't flatted back the undercoat like I would for furniture/skirting boards, so it's not like a mirror...  but the second coat should give a better finish.

[Image: jDZHWf.jpg]

[Image: 82PwGq.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like GruntPuppy's post:
  • Annie, Cheltgirl, plankton
Thanks given by:
The paint is taking longer to dry than it said on the tin, that's for sure.  It's still not cured properly, despite being outside in glorious sunshine for the morning!

Neeeever mind.  Bestest buddy Small Paul came by earlier, and lifted the tank off its' stand with me.  It's now commanding its' own bit of kitchen workbench, and I'll be able to start in on manually :*( cleaning back the scratches when I get back from Pembroke on the weekend.

With the tank off the base unit, I'm also going to make a start on tidying the inside of the cupboard.  There are some offcuts of kitchen-grade laminate left over from the landlord getting a new kitchen floor laid, and I'm going to paint the side panels (inside) with primer and scrubbable kitchen paint.

The UPS idea is going to have to wait for another time, I hadn't realised how big they are!  There's not going to be room.  What I can do is think about organising the spare space to best advantage.   It's obvious that there's been a back panel on this base in the past, since that would have braced the structure I think I'll put something back there - if not a whole panel, at least some cross-bracing, which I'll also use to mount pipe brackets to keep the return pipe from the weir to the spraybar tidy and organised.

I'm off to Pembroke in the morning, so nothing happening for the next 3 days on the tank at least - but there WILL be some rock-hunting on Freshwater East beach Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I lived in Pembroke Dock years ago. A great part of the world, just too much rain!
Thanks given by: