This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 10:49 PM
» Replies: 173
» Views: 3162
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 11
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 08:49 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 101
Fry
Last Post: paulellison19
Yesterday 08:08 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 47
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 510
New Users
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 07:58 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 122
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Yesterday 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 320
Urgent please help
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 297
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 76
Sci-Fi
Yesterday 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1168
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 136
Adding Guppy fry
Last Post: plankton
22-05-2019 09:47 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 203
ammonia and plants
Last Post: paulellison19
22-05-2019 07:16 PM
» Replies: 47
» Views: 891
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: plankton
22-05-2019 07:56 AM
» Replies: 98
» Views: 1175
Tank Build Thread
Last Post: Mito
21-05-2019 08:22 PM
» Replies: 37
» Views: 600

Baddams's Feisty Fluval
Yeah, I couldn't imagine this stuff being dwarfy enough.
Thanks given by:
I've done it with polysperma before. Easier to push the stems down as its grows rather than cutting and replanting Smile
Thanks given by:
I've just given my LFS a ring and they took a delivery of assassin snails ('a tankful') yesterday.
I'll pop over at the weekend and then Operation Snailmgeddon can begin!

Anything I need to bear in mind when I go to get them?
I'm thinking of getting a couple - are they likely to overrun the tank?
Anything to look out for when selecting them (size, condition?)?

Cheers!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Baddams's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
don't get any with cracks in the shells ( lacking calcium or damaged ) apart from that, if they look alive then all good.
Thanks given by:
For a 240L I'd get 4 assassin snails, they don't breed particularly well in aquariums so you won't get overrun with them. You could always pass a couple on to someone else once they have shifted the majority of the problem snails. It won't happen overnight. I moved mine from a previous tank that had a few snails come in on plants to a brand new set up and I've never seen a problem snail in it but the assassins seem to stay at a fairly constant level. I think they just eke out a living on food debris now and spend a lot of time buried in the substrate. They seem to crawl up the glass for a while after a water change but then quickly settle down again.
Thanks given by:
Okay, I'm having a bit of a panic.

Popped down to the LFS and picked up three assassin snails.

While I was in there I got some live food (a bag each of bloodworms, daphnia and glassworms).
The guy in the shop suggested I feed them the bloodworms first, as the others will last longer in the fridge.

A load of the bloodworms disappeared down into the sand before they could get eaten and this is giving me The Fear!

I need reassuring that this is nothing to worry about and they'll get picked off as they emerge and I'm not going to end up with a house full of midges(?). Also, please don't tell me they'll die and rot down there.
Thanks given by:
What fish do you have, I can't remember off-hand?
A lot will burrow into the sand for them, and snails will eat them....especially the assassins. Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • Baddams
Thanks given by:
I've only got three small Panda Corys and a pair of Kribs that do any active digging and even then it's just the top couple of mm. I'm hoping the bloodworms aren't sensible enough to burrow deeper.

I'm a little less hysterical this morning. Nobody's exploded from overeating - the Neons looked like they were going to burst last night, with silhouettes more like Hatchets. Parameters are okay and there's just what looks like a month's worth of poo dropped in one night.

Looking at the bloodworm life cycle, I'm assuming that they'll pupate in the substrate and emerge as midges before heading for the surface. Hopefully they won't make it past the patrolling & Harlequins so I'll avoid a house full of midges (at least they're non-biting).

That does assume that they survive down there!
Thanks given by: