This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Fr499y's 4 foot *always changing* tank log, thing....
Last Post: fr499y
Today 11:29 AM
» Replies: 229
» Views: 6889
When is the fishless cycle complete?
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 09:47 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 42
Cycling a tank
Last Post: plankton
15-06-2019 09:06 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 355
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
14-06-2019 05:57 PM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 2113
Benvilles' Tanks
14-06-2019 01:29 PM
» Replies: 460
» Views: 9245
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:54 PM
» Replies: 1629
» Views: 185846
Happy Birthday Plankton!
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:46 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 150
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Annie
14-06-2019 10:40 AM
» Replies: 54
» Views: 787
food storage
Last Post: fr499y
14-06-2019 08:44 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 63
lost my way.
Last Post: plankton
14-06-2019 08:17 AM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 225
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: RallyMatt
13-06-2019 09:23 PM
» Replies: 194
» Views: 3980
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: Mito
13-06-2019 09:03 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 309
Shallow Jungle - Nano Planted
13-06-2019 11:52 AM
» Replies: 167
» Views: 8869
BN Plec with swollen belly
Last Post: CrashEd
12-06-2019 11:01 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 189
GL’s multiple tank log
12-06-2019 09:33 PM
» Replies: 839
» Views: 66048

Silicone Sealant
Hello,

I wonder if you can help me.

I have been running a marine tank for a number of years with no issues.

I have a hooded aquarium (basically a converted tropical tank (marina style 95) to marine) to stop the cats and kids messing. I ripped out the T8 tube, ballasts etc and mounted my led light strip into it with no issue.

I placed in a few brackets around the edges of my tank to hold my condenstation tray in place, but the brackets / tray and lid kinda interfere with each other.

My idea is to use some spare transparent acrylic sheet I have lying about and silicone a peice of it into my lid, purely to stop any surface agitation and condenstation from resting on my led strip, so it will kinda just be a strip, rather that being full sealing my light off (which I don't want to do, because of led heat).

I have a fresh bottle of this silicone lying about https://www.arbo.co.uk/products/silicone...rbosil-lm/
This is the datasheet: https://www.arbo.co.uk/wp-content/upload...-LM-LR.pdf

It has no fungicide, and is just low modulus silicone sealant (afaik, only need the high modulus when it comes to holding glass etc together).

Would this sealant be safe to use as I'm only going to holding a little bit of acrylic sheet in the lid?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
I think that silicone sealant is fine once its cured. If you were resealing the tank most people recommend using HA6 if I remember correctly, again because of strength and it doesn't leach anything into the water.

Welcome to btw Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • Brophy
Thanks given by: Brophy
(06-06-2019, 03:22 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: I think that silicone sealant is fine once its cured. If you were resealing the tank most people recommend using HA6 if I remember correctly, again because of strength and it doesn't leach anything into the water.

Cheers mate! Appreciate the help.
Thanks given by:
The only sealant that I know can be used on an aquarium is BondIt HA6 silicone sealant although I am sure there are other brands that are also suitable.
Available at many places at reasonable prices. ebay link
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé river theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 2 x wild caught Apistogramma trifasciata, 15 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 20 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 13 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 13 x Otocinclus sp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • Brophy
Thanks given by:
I don't think I'm going to go with silicone after realising that I have a hot glue gun that's been sitting in a box waiting for me to do something with it.

I'm not actually going to be getting it 'wet' or trying to seal anything with it, so should be ok to hold a piece of thin acrylic in the lid.

Thanks for the advise though, I'll keep it in mind if I ever have to touch any aquarium safe silicone.
Thanks given by:
Silicone doesn't bond to acrylic properly so i wouldn't use it. You'd be better off with superglue or epoxy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Brophy
Thanks given by:
i have just resealed 6 aquariums using HA6 (black) silicon. i will not be using anything else from now on. low smell, easy to smooth over, i got mine from ebay. for me nothing beats it
theres no such a thing as a stupid question!
its just an answer you dont know
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2019, 09:20 AM)fr499y Wrote: Silicone doesn't bond to acrylic properly so i wouldn't use it. You'd be better off with superglue or epoxy.

Glad I stayed away from it. Managed to complete my modifications on Saturday.

Ripped the old driver and t8 ballasts out the hood, and added a deeper cut out to the 'hob filter' cut out in the shape of my skimmer (which is now on the back wall of the tank and making use of the glass clip).

The hot glue gun seems to have done the job, I've done two vertical strips in the hood along with a horizontal strip across them, all glued to one another and into position. Although it doesn't look the prettiest, it does the job well and you can only see it if you open the flap on the lid.

4 days later, seems to be holding and no water is getting onto my light (although its IP67, I still don't fancy any water getting on it)

Thanks for the advice as always.

Few pics below.

[Image: 7Ac6P1P.jpg]

[Image: 6foahi8.jpg]
Thanks given by: