This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Rescue and release
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 11:39 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 20
Tinkers tank - filter mayday !!!
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 11:16 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1033
Betta issues
Last Post: Mossyboy
Yesterday 11:06 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 16
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 10:54 PM
» Replies: 367
» Views: 33579
Apistogramma Hongsloi
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:42 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 32
GL’s multiple tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 06:29 PM
» Replies: 866
» Views: 69246
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 06:22 PM
» Replies: 179
» Views: 13429
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Puffua New Guinea & The Esca...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:15 PM
» Replies: 250
» Views: 6432
Happy Birthday fr499y!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 04:27 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 118
How do i stop them breeding?!?
Last Post: LottieWills
Yesterday 03:51 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 73
Torpedo colour morphs
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 03:44 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 01:18 PM
» Replies: 28
» Views: 322
Snails - damn snails
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 12:51 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 112
Goldfish eye problem?
Last Post: Ides of March
Yesterday 08:55 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 65
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:56 AM
» Replies: 181
» Views: 4060

RO Water or not
(08-07-2019, 09:58 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: If your starting from scratch you will still want to mix/remineralise  the RO water otherwise the ph will likely never stabilise and you would struggle with cycling.
Do you know the reading for your water hardness? It can normally be looked up on your water supplier website.
And calculating mixing tap water and RO is easy Smile
If for example your tap water hardness is 18dgh (degrees gerrman hardness) and your mixing 50% RO to 50% tap the hardness will be halved, so 9dgh. If you use 75% RO to 25% tap you get a quarter of the hardness or 4.5dgh.
 Its around 350-300 Mg/l CaCo3 so if i am reading conversion right that's around 16.85-19.66 dgh so even doing 75% Ro 25% tap will still put me at 6.5 dgh which is a little high for tetras or so i believe.  Hence wanting to go full RO and yes i have read up about not using straight RO as much like us plants and fish need minerals in the water so would be dosing with Seachem Equilibrium to make it safe for the tank. 

It may end up being easier to just take the hit with tetras not living for so long as 6.5 is a dam sight better than what i've had my tank running on for 6 years when i lived there before.  I take it there is no need to dose the water if doing a mix as the tap will remineralise the water?
Thanks given by:
If you are mixing RO with tap water the only thing you will need to add is a good dechlorinator. Seachem Prime or Safe are good and excellent value for money.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
75% RO at that level of hardness would work out 4.2-5dgh, so moderately soft and the tetras would be very happy with that. Most seem to be able to handle upto 12-14 long term-ish, but that depends on maintenance etc
(As Cheltgirl says)You wouldnt need to use equilibrium (or a remineralising salts) if mixing with tap water but you would need to dechlorinate/condition water before putting it in the tank.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Spot on thanks for the help was the info i was after .
Thanks given by:
'Baddams that's interesting always been lead to believe that a 10 deg shift in temp can affect fish a lot'

Yeah, I'm sure it does.
I've got a 240l with a fair depth of sand substrate and some hefty granite cobbles.
I'm changing about 90l at a time, which is probably around 50% actual water volume.

Given that our tap water at this time of year isn't exactly freezing, I'm only seeing a 2 or 3 degree change in the temperature immediately after I've topped it back up. I'm assuming that the sand/stones are retaining (and then emitting) enough heat from before the change to minimise the temperature shift.*

*Note: I am not a qualified Physicist.
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Baddams Wrote: 'Baddams that's interesting always been lead to believe that a 10 deg shift in temp can affect fish a lot'

Yeah, I'm sure it does.
I've got a 240l with a fair depth of sand substrate and some hefty granite cobbles.
I'm changing about 90l at a time, which is probably around 50% actual water volume.

Given that our tap water at this time of year isn't exactly freezing, I'm only seeing a 2 or 3 degree change in the temperature immediately after I've topped it back up. I'm assuming that the sand/stones are retaining (and then emitting) enough heat from before the change to minimise the temperature shift.*

*Note: I am not a qualified Physicist.
Yeah i would agree with you heat will be retained by everything in the tank at the temp your tank is set to, its also handy that your tap water stays warmish during the summer months, generally icy cold most the year where i live never more than around 14-16 deg.  Quite content now to try mixing with tap water as it will still keep my hardness hopefully down to what i am looking for and can use my tap water to hopefully bring the temps up.  Will find out in October when i have moved my wife keeps saying i am like a kid waiting for my birthday "is it now"  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Where are you moving to? I'm in Bournemouth and all our water is abstracted from a couple of local rivers and treated/distributed straight away (no boreholes or reservoirs). The catchment of those water courses mean that my water's spent 800 years percolating down from Salisbury Plain before it comes out of my tap. As you say, liquid rock.

The tap temperature only varies from the river temperature by a degree or so all through the abstraction/treatment/distribution cycle - it's done that quickly - so it's freezing in winter, tepid in summer.
Interestingly, my local water company* are switching their final disinfection over from chlorination to UV, so I shouldn't need to condition it as much.

*Note: I worked there for a fair few years.
Thanks given by:
Fun enough i am moving right next to Salisbury plain near Andover not 100% sure were Veolia get there water from there a little tight lipped when it comes to getting info off them. like i said previous i lived in the area for about 12 years before shifting due to work but am heading back down hopefully using RO this time will mitigate some of the issues i had previously.
Thanks given by: