This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Beginner's Setup
Last Post: Matt90
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 352
Hi Everyone....
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:10 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 30
Quarantine tank setup
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 30
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 10:22 PM
» Replies: 124
» Views: 5306
Starter tank with 5 fish
Last Post: Jassy306
Yesterday 09:56 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 337
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: Lee_k
Yesterday 08:43 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Ste's Tank
Last Post: stechappo
Yesterday 08:40 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 333
Water temperature alarm
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Spixi snail
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:01 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 22
Using carbon in external filter
Yesterday 07:38 PM
» Replies: 38
» Views: 299
Tough bristlenose
Yesterday 06:57 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 110
Back to fish keeping
Last Post: ivybell
Yesterday 06:35 PM
» Replies: 117
» Views: 1929
where members live
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 06:18 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 146
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 05:53 PM
» Replies: 742
» Views: 50958
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 05:39 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 69

Bathtime!
I started a thread called "Swamp Draining Itself!" when my bath sprang a leak, but I thought it better to have another one to carry any general goings-on in the now-watertight bath.

So here's a funny thing to start the thread off …

Of late I've been bemoaning the fact that no mosquito larvae have appeared in the bath. Normally at this time of year I'd already have noted loads of egg rafts and would be watching them hatch. This year : zilch.  I knew from previous reading that mosquitos preferentially lay eggs on water that contains rotting vegetable matter, and I'd been chucking in 'spent' Catappa and oak leaves from my fishtanks in the hope that egg rafts would appear. Nope!

In that other thread I said that I'd taken the opportunity of it being relatively empty to remove a few clumps of hair-type algae from the bottom of the bath.  The algae was/is home to thousands of California blackworms, which I wanted to keep. So I set about disentangling them from the algae. It's a laborious job and I'm still at it, on and off, as time and patience allows!

Having separated out the worms from each little batch of algae, I return the worms to the bath to join all the others who didn't set up home in the algae. However the processed algae still contains a load of Asellus aquaticus (they're like aquatic woodlice). Again, there are thousands in the bath still, but I figured I'd give these ones a second chance.

So I put the processed algae into little plastic cups, along with some water. When I'd gathered enough cups I set up a tub outside and decanted the contents of the cups into it.

After a few days of this operation, Mrs. V! began complaining of being bitten.  It should be noted that mossies, gnats and fleas make it their highest and most urgent priority to visit her if they're within a few kilometres of her. She blamed it on the cat.  I had to agree : of course it's about time we put another dose of Frontline on Rufus!

What I didn't say was that the algae in the cups had gone well manky and was now infested with tiny mosquito larvae!

Here's a pic of an egg raft on a cup that hasn't yet had any algae put into it:

[Image: CqVXHipl.jpg]

The tub outside has gone beserk!  This pic can't do justice to the amount in there, because they have extremely efficient early-warning radar and most scarper downwards as soon as a shadow appears above the tub. But you get the idea!

[Image: L7T2d75l.jpg]

I'm now wondering if a handful of rotted garden compost (not manure, as you might use for culturing Daphnia, say) in a tub or bucket might have a similar effect. Anyone care to try and report back? (all my buckets are either currently in use or spoken for).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • plankton
Thanks given by:
Gee it’s full ! Lots of juicy live dinners there ! Well done.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
Strangely enough, I was just saying the other day to a colleague that this year we've not had any midges or mosquitos in the garden. Then I opened up the water butt yesterday and was greeted by a swarm of mozzies.

The water butt does get leaves and the occasional drowned snail in it (its collecting the water from the shed roof). There is a lid with holes in and its sitting in the shade under some climbers and trees. And the little beasties love it so I'm sure you'll be fine with any puddle of water you set up for them.

Just stock up on the healing cream first  Wink
Thanks given by:
Luckily both I and No.2 Son aren't usually attacked very much by mozzies, but Mrs. V! and No.1 Son really do seem very tasty to them!

Dinner this evening consisted of a microworm starter for the little ones, followed by mosquito larvae (from the tub) garnished with Daphnia (from the bath). Put under an aquarium light for a photo, most of the mosquito larvae formed a bunch as far away from the light as they could get ; while the Daphnia mostly moved towards it as usual.  I don't know whether that shows up in the pic or not :

[Image: D0I6tJrl.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Vale!'s post:
  • Annie, Gingerlove05, plankton, Ric
Thanks given by:
I might be able to give the extra bucket test a go. My green bin (for garden waste) hasn’t move in some time Big Grin (mostly because forgot to move it and now cant rofl) i reckon i could get some mulch (grass and hedge clippings mainly) out of there and stick it in a bucket of water outside for a while and see what happens. If thats what your talking about at least Smile
(And hope they dont fancy me and my OH for lunch Big Grin)
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
You could try, GL - though I imagine it wouldn't be quite the same as well-rotted compost.

Give it a go!
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2019, 09:04 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: (And hope they dont fancy me and my OH for lunch Big Grin)

...there is only one way to find out  Wink
Thanks given by:
yuck lol
Thanks given by: