This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Beginner's Setup
Last Post: Matt90
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 352
Hi Everyone....
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:10 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 30
Quarantine tank setup
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 30
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 10:22 PM
» Replies: 124
» Views: 5306
Starter tank with 5 fish
Last Post: Jassy306
Yesterday 09:56 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 337
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: Lee_k
Yesterday 08:43 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Ste's Tank
Last Post: stechappo
Yesterday 08:40 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 333
Water temperature alarm
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Spixi snail
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:01 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 22
Using carbon in external filter
Yesterday 07:38 PM
» Replies: 38
» Views: 299
Tough bristlenose
Yesterday 06:57 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 110
Back to fish keeping
Last Post: ivybell
Yesterday 06:35 PM
» Replies: 117
» Views: 1929
where members live
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 06:18 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 146
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 05:53 PM
» Replies: 742
» Views: 50958
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 05:39 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 69

Weird worms
[Image: 1Lp9LTRl.jpg] Hello apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong area but just done a water change and these have appeared in my tank HELP Please
Thanks given by:
I think they're just detritus worms that have been disturbed from the substrate and have found the biofilm on the glass. It's highly unlikely that they're anything to worry about (in one way just the opposite, in fact!). If you've got small enough fish they may well deal with some of them - Dish Of The Day, an' all that!

[I've deleted your duplicate post, in case you're wondering where it went!]
Thanks given by:
Thanks, Do you know how I can get rid of these things or would it be a case of loads of water changes?
Thanks given by:
Well it could be counter-productive to use chemicals so if the visible ones aren't eaten the best thing to do would be to wipe the ones you can see off the glass. Thereafter keep the glass clean and repeat worm-wiping as necessary until all those remaining are where they belong, in the substrate. Regular substrate-hoovering will help to control numbers, too. Gentler water-changes would limit the numbers being disturbed and getting into the water-column proper (that's assuming that they are what I think they are!).

I wouldn't be in favour of deliberately eliminating 100% of them, though they may disappear one day spontaneously. Depends what happens in their little ecosystem!

If you're determined to 'off' all of them permanently, others will advise I'm sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • Redders
Thanks given by:
Oh I had them, just lovely are they not haha!! I even bought a macro lens for my smartphone e to get a close up of them. Mine happened after overfeeding & discovered....eventually..... I had been overfeeding live brine shrimp & frozen foods too often. I cut down feeding, water changes, bought ember tetras (not for this purpose) they had a feast!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jen1981's post:
  • Redders
Thanks given by:
I had these, they first appeared while I was cycling the tank. There was a lot of them that suddenly appeared one day as if from nowhere! Must’ve come in with the driftwood or something.

As mentioned they’re likely detritus worms. I gave up trying to get rid of them / wiping them off glass. Seemed like too much effort considering how many there were in the tank. Eventually they’ll either get eaten by fish or just stay in substrate. Apparently they’re good at keeping it clean.
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by: