This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Going on holiday
Last Post: Sixo
Today 06:46 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 77
Nicks tanks.
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Yesterday 11:16 PM
» Replies: 22
» Views: 209
Real plants - care of
Last Post: svendogg
Yesterday 11:10 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 118
Help dying fish
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 87
Amano Shrimps with yoyo loaches?
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 10:08 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 72
An Improbability Fish
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 09:52 PM
» Replies: 107
» Views: 15941
Micronemacheilus cruciatus (Hovering Zebra Loach)
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 09:45 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 36
Another new Tank
Last Post: ivybell
Yesterday 08:59 PM
» Replies: 84
» Views: 1183
Newbie Advice
Last Post: Flex365
Yesterday 08:56 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 94
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 1703
» Views: 248039
GL’s multiple tank log
Yesterday 08:07 PM
» Replies: 940
» Views: 77656
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Baddams
Yesterday 07:49 PM
» Replies: 180
» Views: 3559
Bolivian Rams Aggression
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 06:59 PM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 284
Sick oto
Yesterday 06:55 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 95
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 06:54 PM
» Replies: 154
» Views: 6862

Using carbon in external filter
Just had a rummage through my used kit I bought recently...found 100ml of Seachem Prime!
For a 25ltr water change, I need 0.625ml then?
Cannot believe I paid £55 for the complete kit: I've also got £33 of Stresszyme+  Smile
NOTE: just read the full label, it says if its below 30 degrees C and chlorine and ammonia levels are low, use half dose! I can't even measure 0.3125 ml...
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2019, 02:19 PM)jacksdad Wrote: My water company states 'residual chlorine-total 1.02 mg/l '
Does this level need chemically removing? I had been using Tetra Aquasafe every water change, but its expensive!
Yes, even a small amount of chlorine and/or chloramine needs removing.

jacksdad Wrote:Thanks for the alternatives! I'd still rather not use any chemicals, so as my tap water only has a small amount of chlorine, not chloramine, won't it evaporate, like most online post suggest?
My water company state that my chlorine level is even lower than yours at 0.6505 mg/l
I still use a dechlorinator, afterall my fish are precious and I do not want to expose them to anything which can be harmful.

jacksdad Wrote:Just had a rummage through my used kit I bought recently...found 100ml of Seachem Prime!
For a 25ltr water change, I need 0.625ml then?
Cannot believe I paid £55 for the complete kit: I've also got £33 of Stresszyme+ 
NOTE: just read the full label, it says if its below 30 degrees C and chlorine and ammonia levels are low, use half dose! I can't even measure 0.3125 ml...
Finding the Seachem Prime will save you money. Get a syringe to measure the amount.
You think your chlorine level is low, it isn't.
Mine is about 35% lower than yours. You need to measure 0.625ml as you correctly calculated. It does not have to be accurate, measuring 0.7ml may be easier, even 1ml won't hurt.
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
Agreed, I can use double the amount as well, so anywhere around .7ml will be perfect. I've found some syringes in my bargain box that have 0.5ml lines, look like medical stuff, they are in sterile wrappers.
The Seachem stuff also removes other nasties in the water, nitrites and nitrates, so I'll stick with this one additive, along with 'airing' the clean water for a week each time, I'm hoping for some happy fishes...and snails...and plants Smile
Thanks given by:
Don't forget that most water companies publish the analysis results annually (if that). They could have altered their disinfection regime since and chlorine isn't one of the substances that they're particularly sensitive about, as long as it's way below the limits for humans.

Also, a few companies are introducing UV disinfection (very impressive on an industrial scale), but also leave the chlorination infrastructure in place as a back up. They wouldn't necessarily alert their customers if they had to switch back and forth (again, as long as it remains safe for humans).
Planted Fluval 240 Roma
18 Harlequins
12 Amano Shrimp
8 Panda Corydoras
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Otos
3 Pearl Gouramis
3 Assassin Snails
1 Neon Tetra
Platy fry
Thanks given by:
jacksdad Wrote:Agreed, I can use double the amount as well, so anywhere around .7ml will be perfect. I've found some syringes in my bargain box that have 0.5ml lines, look like medical stuff, they are in sterile wrappers.
The Seachem stuff also removes other nasties in the water, nitrites and nitrates, so I'll stick with this one additive, along with 'airing' the clean water for a week each time, I'm hoping for some happy fishes...and snails...and plants Smile

I bought my syringes off eBay, cost about £3.00 for 5 x 2ml syringes and about £5.00 for 5 x 5ml syringes.
I use the 5ml for my fertiliser & liquid carbon dosing. Very handy.

We all want nice healthy fish Wink
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
I just rechecked my suppliers figures, they have changed the chlorine from 0.94 to 0.93 mg/l. I'll keep checking though, always good to know!
As there is no mention of chloramine I'm assuming they don't use it, but I'm going to send them an enquiry to make sure.
Thanks given by:
I was reading practical fishkeeper today whilst the grumpy toddler slept....bliss...Kev B tried to explain phosphates to me on another thread & still quite don’t understand it all, but, never realised that activated carbon will leach phosphates into your water & can depending on the quality of the carbon, raise your PH.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2019, 07:15 PM)Jen1981 Wrote: ... activated carbon will leach phosphates into your water  ...

It's not a certainty, J, so far as I'm aware. It depends on the manufacturing process and/or post-processing, I think.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2019, 07:36 PM)Vale! Wrote:
(24-08-2019, 07:15 PM)Jen1981 Wrote: ... activated carbon will leach phosphates into your water  ...

It's not a certainty, J, so far as I'm aware. It depends on the manufacturing process and/or post-processing, I think.
Yeah it was an interesting read but all taken from practical fishkeeper, no back up on it to say were the references were taken from or not that I seen.
Thanks given by: