This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Today 07:59 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 259
Meds and bristlenoses
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 07:45 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 8
Hello from Fishtales
Last Post: Netsu
Today 07:45 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 122
Aqua one 100l and filter recommendations
Last Post: mezrie
Today 07:37 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
Platy struggling to swim - Photo Added
Last Post: Lee_k
Today 07:33 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 125
GL’s multiple tank log
Last Post: Ric
Today 07:21 PM
» Replies: 954
» Views: 79423
Newbie Advice
Last Post: wingnut55
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1512
Cockatoo cichlid
Last Post: janineford1985
» Replies: 6
» Views: 40
Ric's Rena
Today 07:16 PM
» Replies: 97
» Views: 2103
Jon's TroublesomeTank
Today 07:02 PM
» Replies: 22
» Views: 273
Help identifying hitchiker snail!
Last Post: Netsu
Today 06:34 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 173
Cleaning around plants
Last Post: stuaz
Today 06:22 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 147
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 05:21 PM
» Replies: 253
» Views: 6563
Bolivian Rams Aggression
Last Post: Sixo
Today 05:21 PM
» Replies: 55
» Views: 978
My Puffer Tank
Last Post: DoraCory
Today 05:07 PM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 675

240 Litre new tank for Cichlids
(04-10-2019, 11:03 AM)plankton Wrote: That ammonia does look better. Wait until it drops to zero before adding more to 2ppm, as Stephen has already advised.

Are you intending to put corys and platies in with Rift Lake cichlids?
If so, forget it immediately, they won't survive long. For one thing the water will be way too hard for corys, and the platies (and probably corys) will just be live food.

No i was only going to put them in to help with getting the tank ready with the Malawri Cichlids i want to keep. I would take them out when it comes to adding cichlids

How long do i have to keep adding ammonia for then? im so confused with the cycle thing. So i got to get the ammonia down to zero but then put it back up again by adding more?
Thanks given by:
The "fishless" cycle is all about getting the tank/filter ready for adding fish.
It was developed with Rift lake cichlids in mind as the tank needs to be well stocked at about the same time.

Basically you add ammonia to the tank to start a beneficial colony of bacteria that can deal with the ammonia.
The ammonia will start to drop and when it gets close to zero you top the ammonia back up to 2ppm.
Eventually you will get nitrite readings and another beneficial colony of bacteria will develop to deal with the nitrite.
Both ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish.
When the ammonia drops again to close to zero you again top up to 2ppm.
This continues until the ammonia and nitrite both drop to zero within 24 hours, again top the ammonia up to 2ppm.
After 3 consecutive days of zero for both ammonia and nitrite then the cycle is complete.
When this eventually happens you do a large water change and stock the aquarium with fish.

The whole process usually takes several weeks but the wait is worth it.
So be patient and let the process continue.
Thanks given by:
[Image: mkI1as3l.jpg]

These are the latest test results
Thanks given by:
That looks like it's started well. Smile
Wait now until the ammonia is zero, then top up to 2ppm.

As Stephen has said, the ammonia method was set up for Rift Lake cichlid tanks, so you won't need to put the other fish in there at all. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Do I just wait until the ammonia level drops down to zero? Or do I have to do another water change?
Thanks given by:
willeymunda Wrote:Do I just wait until the ammonia level drops down to zero? Or do I have to do another water change?

Just wait until the ammonia drops. No need for a water change until the cycle is complete.

All the best
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2019, 12:03 AM)Stephen Wrote: The "fishless" cycle is all about getting the tank/filter ready for adding fish.
It was developed with Rift lake cichlids in mind as the tank needs to be well stocked at about the same time.

Basically you add ammonia to the tank to start a beneficial colony of bacteria that can deal with the ammonia.
The ammonia will start to drop and when it gets close to zero you top the ammonia back up to 2ppm.
Eventually you will get nitrite readings and another beneficial colony of bacteria will develop to deal with the nitrite.
Both ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish.
When the ammonia drops again to close to zero you again top up to 2ppm.
This continues until the ammonia and nitrite both drop to zero within 24 hours, again top the ammonia up to 2ppm.
After 3 consecutive days of zero for both ammonia and nitrite then the cycle is complete.
When this eventually happens you do a large water change and stock the aquarium with fish.

The whole process usually takes several weeks but the wait is worth it.
So be patient and let the process continue.
It’s ok for me to add filter boost each day to speed up the good bacteria growth?
Thanks given by:
Yes, should be fine as long as the ammonia does not exceed 2ppm (test), you don't want to kill the beneficial bacteria
Thanks given by: