This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Today 07:59 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 259
Meds and bristlenoses
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 07:45 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 8
Hello from Fishtales
Last Post: Netsu
Today 07:45 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 122
Aqua one 100l and filter recommendations
Last Post: mezrie
Today 07:37 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
Platy struggling to swim - Photo Added
Last Post: Lee_k
Today 07:33 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 125
GL’s multiple tank log
Last Post: Ric
Today 07:21 PM
» Replies: 954
» Views: 79423
Newbie Advice
Last Post: wingnut55
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1512
Cockatoo cichlid
Last Post: janineford1985
» Replies: 6
» Views: 40
Ric's Rena
Today 07:16 PM
» Replies: 97
» Views: 2103
Jon's TroublesomeTank
Today 07:02 PM
» Replies: 22
» Views: 273
Help identifying hitchiker snail!
Last Post: Netsu
Today 06:34 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 173
Cleaning around plants
Last Post: stuaz
Today 06:22 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 147
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 05:21 PM
» Replies: 253
» Views: 6563
Bolivian Rams Aggression
Last Post: Sixo
Today 05:21 PM
» Replies: 55
» Views: 978
My Puffer Tank
Last Post: DoraCory
Today 05:07 PM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 675

fishless cycle break
Hi all,

The fishless cycle in my c.150 litre tank is pretty much complete. I have been reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite after bringing up the ammonia to 4 ppm 12 hours beforehand. However, I am away for a few days next week. Do you know how long I can take a break from putting ammonia in, without disrupting the cycle?

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks given by:
A few days shouldn't make too much difference. Top up the ammonia to 2ppm before you go, and again when you get back, just to make sure it's still ok. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • thesorcerous
Thanks given by:
Great, thanks! I thought it would probably be fine, but as I've never done a fishless cycle before (I have never needed to), I thought I would check.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks given by:
plankton Wrote:A few days shouldn't make too much difference. Top up the ammonia to 2ppm before you go, and again when you get back, just to make sure it's still ok. Smile

Good advise as always from Ian (plankton) [Image: zPo6lL0l.gif]
Thanks given by:
Perfect, thanks guys! I have ordered the fish. 6x Labidochromis hongi and 8x Cytotiplapia afra. They will arrive on 18 October, so hopefully some pictures will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes thesorcerous's post:
  • Jon_D
Thanks given by:
thesorcerous...Glad your tank got through that process, and I bet you're looking forward to seeing the little buddies swimming around., well done. ... Mine is in its 5th week of the cycle and still has huge amounts of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate! But at least the plants are thriving. Bit boring though, sitting staring at green leaves wafting in the current!. :-)

4 hours later: Well there's a surprise! Decided to check the ammonia level instead of just staring at waving plant leaves and behold! it is now o.5ppm, but nitrite and nitrate still high. So ...thesorcerous... I will watch to see your progress with great interest as I appear to be some distance after you. Thank you for starting the chat. Keep us posted.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!
Thanks given by:
Good to hear the ammonia is finally coming down Jon_D. Fingers crossed it completes the aerobic cycle quickly. What fish are you hoping to put in?

Realised I made an error earlier - the fish I'm getting are Cynotilapia afra "Jalo Reef".

Already thinking I should have just got a larger tank to begin with. Bit by bit I replaced everything else in the setup, apart from the glass tank. Would have been much better to just buy a new one. Oh well, I like building my own from scratch Smile

Rob
Thanks given by: