This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Aqua Nano 40 (55litre) zero readings
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 12:37 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1868
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: SpanishAnnie
Yesterday 11:17 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 5526
Amano shrimp death
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:16 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 59
Humming
Yesterday 10:13 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 27
My old marine tanks
Yesterday 08:28 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 366
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 07:13 PM
» Replies: 1067
» Views: 65228
Checkered Barb Disaster!
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 28
PJN's 135 Litre Mekong River
Yesterday 06:45 PM
» Replies: 643
» Views: 41556
Fake plants for breeding.
Yesterday 06:44 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 1103
Shallow Jungle - Nano Planted
Yesterday 06:38 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 1761
*GUIDE* Help! Im confused!!
Yesterday 06:11 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 467
Nearly there! Jota's tank
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 504
Gathering starter information.
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 01:01 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 170
Hello !!!
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 10:20 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Please ID this pleco
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 08:13 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 60

Tiger lotus - surface leaves or no?
I have a tiger lotus in my 135l, and I'm not sure wether to let it grow surface leaves or to cut them back. I have made a list of advantages and disadvantages but I'm still not sure what to do?

Advantages of surface leaves:
  • They have cool flowers
  • It will encourage pretty much all my fish to spawn
  • The water lettuce in my tank is not southeast Asian (although neither is the lotus) so the lotus will act as a more biotope friendly surface plant
  • The corner where the lotus is is very dark so I don't want it to die due to lack of light.
Disadvantages of surface leaves:
  • It will grow very very very big. 
  • May use up all nutrients and lots of root space
  • May start reproducing and take over the tank
  • Block light due to huge leaves. 
Is it possible to control the lotus when it has surface leaves? What do you guys think I should do with the points given, or maybe you have other points I haven't mentioned? 
Thanks given by:
if you want it on the surface, leave it there. if you don't, trim the leaves at the substrate where they come from the bulb.

Letting the leaves get to the surface means the plant is more 'leggy' but keep them trimmed and it will grow shorter and more bush like Smile
Thanks given by:
I've got one that is approaching halfway up the tank but it doesn't have many leaves on it so I might let it go first time and see just how it developes, I don't have any surface plants and if it starts to get out of hand I will just hack it back as fr499y suggests. I planted it close to the back anyway.
Thanks given by:
As an update mine continued to flourish and produced loads of big leaves on the surface. However it got to th epoint whereby they were influencing the movement of water around the tanks and trapping bits of uneaten food so I've hacked them back quite a bit now.
Thanks given by: PJN