This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Rescue and release
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 11:39 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 20
Tinkers tank - filter mayday !!!
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 11:16 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1032
Betta issues
Last Post: Mossyboy
Yesterday 11:06 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 16
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 10:54 PM
» Replies: 367
» Views: 33578
Apistogramma Hongsloi
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:42 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 32
GL’s multiple tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 06:29 PM
» Replies: 866
» Views: 69244
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 06:22 PM
» Replies: 179
» Views: 13429
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Puffua New Guinea & The Esca...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:15 PM
» Replies: 250
» Views: 6432
Happy Birthday fr499y!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 04:27 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 118
How do i stop them breeding?!?
Last Post: LottieWills
Yesterday 03:51 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 73
Torpedo colour morphs
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 03:44 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 01:18 PM
» Replies: 28
» Views: 322
Snails - damn snails
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 12:51 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 112
Goldfish eye problem?
Last Post: Ides of March
Yesterday 08:55 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 65
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:56 AM
» Replies: 181
» Views: 4058

Ram's fry
Hello everyone,

We've been trying to make this work without success, so I am trying writing on a forum for the first time.

My partner has a pair of German blue rams, like this one -> [Image: lg89938GermanBlueRam.jpg] and since they came into our 130 liter tank, they've been spawn around 6 times.

Apart from the very first time when they just ate their eggs, fry has always come out in big quantity, going around and with the parent taking in their mouth the ones that go away from the group, trying to keep them together.

The problem is always the same: the fry is quite lively and swims around following the parent once hatched, but after 3 or 4 days they start to slow down and slowly get less in number. Then, all of a sudden when they are around 40, we go away for a couple of hours and when we return they're all disappeared.
There are no bodies, which makes us think they get eaten by the parents.

As I said, this has happened around 5 times and despite buying liquifry and baby shrimp food, we haven't managed to see any of the fry grow.
What can be the cause? What should we do next time?

Thanks,
Saro

Cry
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2018, 10:09 PM)Saro Wrote: Hello everyone,

We've been trying to make this work without success, so I am trying writing on a forum for the first time.

My partner has a pair of German blue rams, like this one -> [Image: lg89938GermanBlueRam.jpg] and since they came into our 130 liter tank, they've been spawn around 6 times.

Apart from the very first time when they just ate their eggs, fry has always come out in big quantity, going around and with the parent taking in their mouth the ones that go away from the group, trying to keep them together.

The problem is always the same: the fry is quite lively and swims around following the parent once hatched, but after 3 or 4 days they start to slow down and slowly get less in number. Then, all of a sudden when they are around 40, we go away for a couple of hours and when we return they're all disappeared.
There are no bodies, which makes us think they get eaten by the parents.

As I said, this has happened around 5 times and despite buying liquifry and baby shrimp food, we haven't managed to see any of the fry grow.
What can be the cause? What should we do next time?

Thanks,
Saro

Cry

Remove the eggs/fry and hatch/grow them artificially in another tank. Or remove the parents to another tank.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Saro Smile
Congrats on getting the rams to breed. They can take several attempts to get it right. What else is in the tank?
Small foods like the baby brine shrimp and frozen rotifers seemed to work for my baby apistos, they will survive off the egg sac for a couple of days before eating.
Also how many breeding areas do you have as you might be able to add another and have more sucess if the parents feel that is more secure.
If you are determined to raise the fry you could move them into a separate grow out tank, but it would need to be cycled ready. You could move a small peice of media (sponge, ceramics, noodles) from your current filter and put it in a filter in the grow out tank then move the fry over. You might also get away with using tetra safe start or one of the other proven bottled bacteria to set up the fry tank.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Hi and thanks for the quick replies.

We haven't try to remove the fry as the parents are super aggressive and protective, and even when feeding or moving around them, they physically attack us. Removing the fry feels a bit harsh and unfair towards them, and we are worried they could also hurt themselves while trying to protect the fry.
Thanks given by:
Are the rams on their own in the tank or is it a community tank?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2018, 12:31 AM)Saro Wrote: Hi and thanks for the quick replies.

We haven't try to remove the fry as the parents are super aggressive and protective, and even when feeding or moving around them, they physically attack us. Removing the fry feels a bit harsh and unfair towards them, and we are worried they could also hurt themselves while trying to protect the fry.

Yeah they can be protective of there young like a lot of animals are. In my experience if your going to have any level of success your going to need to remove the fry or parents. It's not cruel to the fish, they won't really care.
Thanks given by: