This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Aqua Nano 40 (55litre) zero readings
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 12:37 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1870
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: SpanishAnnie
Yesterday 11:17 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 5528
Amano shrimp death
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:16 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 59
Humming
Yesterday 10:13 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 27
My old marine tanks
Yesterday 08:28 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 366
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 07:13 PM
» Replies: 1067
» Views: 65239
Checkered Barb Disaster!
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 28
PJN's 135 Litre Mekong River
Yesterday 06:45 PM
» Replies: 643
» Views: 41556
Fake plants for breeding.
Yesterday 06:44 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 1103
Shallow Jungle - Nano Planted
Yesterday 06:38 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 1762
*GUIDE* Help! Im confused!!
Yesterday 06:11 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 467
Nearly there! Jota's tank
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 504
Gathering starter information.
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 01:01 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 170
Hello !!!
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 10:20 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Please ID this pleco
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 08:13 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 60

Cherry barb possible parasite?
Photo 
Hi, a bit of help please?

One of my Cherry barbs has something sticking out from its belly close to the line of the pec fins.
Does anyone have an idea what it might be please,

Thanks given by:
My immediate thought was:  'prolapse'. But its location doesn't fit with organs which 'normally' prolapse (anus, ovaries for example). It looks like it's closer to where liver and/or a portion of the large intestine would be. It's difficult to tell from the photo exactly what the surface/shape of thing looks like, but it doesn't seem to fit with what little I know about parasites - although I could be very wrong. Hmm.

A guess might be: an (internal) infection has caused weakening of the poor thing's abdominal wall, leading to a lesion through which a part of the intestine has poked. Alternatively an external trauma could have cause a lesion, with similar results : fishy aggression often involves barging into a target in the region of vital organs, hoping to cause damage - is that a possibility? Do you have a sufficiently large number of the barbs such that aggression can be 'diluted' (not the right word but I can't think of the proper one at the mo!) rather than one weak individual fielding all of it? 

In order to definitively rule in, or out, a parasite we'd need a better pic, I think. Mind you I'm hardly one to talk, given my photographic skills!
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
Thanks given by:
Cant add anything to Vale!’s post, i was only going to suggest ‘dispersed’ as opposed to ‘diluted’ Wink just trying to help Vale! so he can relax his mind and keep his thoughts for “mad science” Big Grin
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
It looks like a female - have they been spawning a little too aggressively maybe?
(I used "spread the aggression" to avoid confusion, or "Bruce" - that also avoids confusion.... Wink )
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all your replies. It could be a prolapse through a wound of some kind, the protruding tissue has now kind of lost any substance it had and has tissue paper/skin like look to it.

I have 3 females and one male currently and I observed some reasonable aggression from the male yesterday so it may be a result of that. I can't manage to get a pic any better than the one already posted unfortunately.

I have quarantined the fish and put some Melafix in as a best option for the situation. She's still eating and moving okish so I will just have to wait and see.

Many thanks again.
Thanks given by: