This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Aqua Nano 40 (55litre) zero readings
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 12:37 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1868
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: SpanishAnnie
Yesterday 11:17 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 5526
Amano shrimp death
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:16 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 59
Humming
Yesterday 10:13 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 27
My old marine tanks
Yesterday 08:28 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 365
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 07:13 PM
» Replies: 1067
» Views: 65227
Checkered Barb Disaster!
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 28
PJN's 135 Litre Mekong River
Yesterday 06:45 PM
» Replies: 643
» Views: 41556
Fake plants for breeding.
Yesterday 06:44 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 1103
Shallow Jungle - Nano Planted
Yesterday 06:38 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 1761
*GUIDE* Help! Im confused!!
Yesterday 06:11 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 467
Nearly there! Jota's tank
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 504
Gathering starter information.
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 01:01 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 170
Hello !!!
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 10:20 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Please ID this pleco
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 08:13 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 60

Tannins in aquarium (help please)
Yes - on closer inspection the 883 must refer to individual "supplies" (equivalent to Water Supply Zones, I guess), since Irish Water describes itself as a 'national utility'. Phew!

I nearly sent them an e-mail ... until I saw that a reply wouldn't be forthcoming for at least five days. I don't think I've got the stamina to pursue it over such an extended period!

Still waiting on tenterhooks for an indication of our OP's actual location. Something useful might fall out of Google, with a bit of luck.
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • Fishrgr8
Thanks given by:
There's a 'Leinster Fish Keeping Society' website and they have a forum so I'm sure they'd have the information, probably through testing their own water if the Irish water company don't supply it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • Fishrgr8
Thanks given by:
Hi guys, sorry I was gone for so long, I finally got some water testing stuff! It's only those little strips so I hope they're accurate. I tested the tap water and the GH was 8d and the KH was 20d. I also tested my community aquarium's water and the KH was 6 while the GH was the same as the tap water, why was the KH different? I also bought some JBL tormec activ peat pellets that were recommended to me by the guy working at the aquarium shop. Anyway, sorry again for taking so long to reply, I hope the results were helpful Smile thanks!
Thanks given by:
The GH/KH segments of strip-tests tend to be relatively reliable (other segments perhaps less so ; and the normal omission of an 'ammonia' segment is particularly irritating!), IME.

The results for your tapwater look unusual : are you sure you got them the right way round?
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
Thanks given by:
I think so but I'll double check
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2018, 07:55 PM)Fishrgr8 Wrote: I think so but I'll double check
Yeah, the KH was definitely 20. I think I read the GH correctly  but the colour difference was a little harder to work out. The water here leaves a lot of lime scale if that makes a difference
Thanks given by:
Yes - I can quite believe that (re the lime scale)! To have a KH so vastly 'outnumbering' the GH would be very unusual on this side of the Irish Sea : I wonder if the reservoir water is softish/mildly acidic and if they add buffer(s) to bring the pH to neutral before delivering it to taps. Of the water quality reports that I've seen, all seem suspiciously to report the pH as "7"!

OK then. Can you please go here , use the 'map' tab as I did (you can use the 'address' tab but the steps may not be the same - I don't know!), click on your location and then the 'search' button. 

On the summary page that should appear, click 'view detailed report'. On the next page choose a suitable 'begin' date (say, 1st September) and then whatever the default 'end' date is. The third box is supposed to 'drop down' with a list of possible parameters : it doesn't on my PC but it does on my tablet!  Anyway, the parameter you're looking for is 'Conductivity', either directly from a drop-down list or by inspecting the list of parameters that appears when you click on 'view results'...  ah! I can then successfully select conductivity from a drop-down list on that results page. How weird! 

Anyroad, what would be a typical conductivity result for your tapwater?
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Thanks given by: