This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: River Zora
Today 04:07 AM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 226
Beginner's Setup
Last Post: Matt90
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 352
Hi Everyone....
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:10 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 30
Quarantine tank setup
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 30
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: chris.tinker
Yesterday 10:22 PM
» Replies: 124
» Views: 5306
Starter tank with 5 fish
Last Post: Jassy306
Yesterday 09:56 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 337
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: Lee_k
Yesterday 08:43 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Ste's Tank
Last Post: stechappo
Yesterday 08:40 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 333
Water temperature alarm
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 08:10 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Spixi snail
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:01 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 22
Using carbon in external filter
Yesterday 07:38 PM
» Replies: 38
» Views: 299
Tough bristlenose
Yesterday 06:57 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 110
Back to fish keeping
Last Post: ivybell
Yesterday 06:35 PM
» Replies: 117
» Views: 1929
where members live
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 06:18 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 146
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 05:53 PM
» Replies: 742
» Views: 50961

Benvilles' Tanks

So after my dire exploding second hand tank from the newbie section (https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=860), starting this for my new Fluval Roma 240 setup.

It's still very early doors, the plants hardly grown and the stock very low.  I had 2 Platys and 4 White Clouds I had to move over from my little 19L my mother in law bought for my kids.  To go with those I bought 4 more Platys and some more White Clouds.  I also increased the Shrimp population from 2 Amanos that were in the small tank, now up to 4 Amanos, 2 Giant African Shrimp and a lone red/white Cherry Shrimp the LFS threw in for free as it was in the wrong tank.

I've tried getting some photos of the Africans, but alas they are still very, very shy at the moment, so the blurry effort below is all I can get tonight.

The background is temporary, it's actually a black towel until the matte black board I've ordered arrives in a couple of weeks.

Stocking wise, I'm unsure of my next step.  I don't want anything too big, was thinking Gouramis at most.  I was advised against Angels as they can apparently be a little aggressive toward smaller fish/shrimp.  My LFS suggested Bolivian Rams maybe.  I wanted some Neons/Cardinals in there at some point too, and was on a tossup between a Bristlenose or some Corys for the cleanup.  I had my eye on Endlers at my LFS, as they're beyond beautiful, but guess it depends on tank mates.
[-] The following 5 users Like Benville's post:
  • Annie, Gingerlove05, Jota, plankton, Sarah
Thanks given by:
Looks great and love that wood. Looks like a tree.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
That looks super, you certainly have an eye for aquascaping, love it !
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Benville
Thanks given by:
The black towel is a good idea. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments guys. I felt it looked rather amateurish and scrappy compared to some of the ones I've seen on here, but I've always been too critical of my own efforts.

Was thinking of maybe adding some kind of floating shade type plant to the right side of the tank. I was aiming for thirds, left third a little planted/rocky, the centre area open and the right side heavily planted/rocky around the tree. The thinking with the shade is to help the Giant African Shrimp as they are crazy shy and hate the light. Would the floating stuff help or is it totally the wrong area to do it, blocking light from the plants there?

Also what are peoples thoughts on night light/moonlight? I've taken the tiny blue/white light from the 19L tank (as it's now empty), set it to blue only with a timer for overnight. It projects a very low level dark blue moonlight, which is beautiful, but can't get my camera to capture it at all Sad
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty well balanced in layout to me. You never really know what the results are like until the plants grow out a bit and you get a better idea of the overall shape and then it can be trimmed back or plants replaced at your leisure.
Thanks given by:
Looks great to me, you are doing a good job, well done.  Wink 

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
2 Bristlenose Plecs (how many) and  2 babys.
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
It looks great! Once grown in it’ll be lovely. I am rubbish at ‘scaping. I am very envious Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
We have a moonlight lamp in, its one that covers the right spectrum for natural moonlight...don’t ask, too technical for me Big Grin has timers on so that it makes it dim to simulate sunrise and sunset and the the moon rising. It has 6 or so hours of pure darkness too.
Yes they look lovely, the blue is very flattering.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
It takes time for plants to grow in and the appearance always develops over time.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by: