Bathtime!

Food, feeding and diet.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Yeah some can balance on shallows of water as well as swim to some extent.
As for golfing terms:
Rough - the grass alongside the well cut stuff your meant to hit the ball on (looks like my back yard ROFL )
Lie - how the ball is lying on the fairway (the well cut stuff), bunker (sand thingy) or rough (backyard grass) and is there any obstructions
Regulation (or green in regulation) - getting on the green (the flagged and holey bit your aiming for) in 2 shots under par for the hole (the number of shots expected to be needed)
Up and down - two shots either from just off the green (the flagged holey bit your aiming for) or bunker (sand thingy) [the up bit] which then lines you up perfectly for the next shot into the hole [the down bit].
Before you ask i’m not a golfer but my dad is :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

I swear the same spider has come into our house twice in in the past week! put one out the window middle of last week and on Saturday night, the same one was running across the living room carpet! needed a takeaway pot to fit it in *Shudders*
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I was under the impression that house spiders don't survive very long outside......???
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Yeah they are territorial, if you put them out they will try and get back in eek & pretty sure they don’t survive in good old British weather. If I get the courage I always put them in our shed, I don’t go inside it haha
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Don't mention giant house spiders to me. :sick:
They are my main phobia, all the other spiders are fine, but the big house spider … I feel ill already.
Sadly my phobia is so strong that I must permanently get rid of them (sorry), my phobia is really that bad.
It is getting to that time of year again and my senses are already on alert, September and early October are the worst months.
Last edited by Stephen on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

It is true, being house spiders they dont like the cold.
My OH is terrified of them (a bit like Stephen) and tends to run out of the room. And I have had a female try and go for me when i was trying to catch her, actually jumped at my hands/fingers (females are bigger).
Horse chestnuts are supposed to repel them although i dont know how exactly.
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Thanks for the lesson in golf terminology, GL.  The only golf I watch is the US Masters (I think it is - Augusta?) because the course is so arrestingly beautiful.  So I hear these words but don't automatically know what they mean.  The 'up-and-down' thing has particularly puzzled me for ages!

Many times I've been trapped in toilets by sp***rs!

We're nearly at 'September sp***r' time, when it's utterly inadvisable to go out into the garden without a long stick to wave in front of you as you (slowly) walk along.

How are they aware of their ability to cause tachycardia, or worse, in humans? I mean, these things will inevitably rush towards me rather than away ; it's statistically proven! Do they smell the fear?

Yes - I've heard about the horse chestnut thing, too.  Maybe if I were to tie a conker to the end of a six-foot garden cane I could try it out.  A couple of generous tequilas beforehand and it might be possible.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fortunately i’m not scared of them, and only one caught me really off guard and that was huge! In our housemates room, never seen one like it since. Cant remember how i got rid of that one...
The masters is at Augusta and it is a very pretty and well kept course :)
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

I've been slightly concerned about my Betta pair's reaction to food : usually turning their noses up at anything, occasionally stooping to grab a single whiteworm or blackworm. They seem disinterested in granular food and in Daphnia. I have seen them attack Asellus ; and I've seen them go for shrimp several times (but the latter were far too fast in their getaway). Their chief concern, which seems to occupy them for the greater part of their daily doings, is to regain access to their beloved filter compartments - but they can't because their access-hole is no longer there.

I've let my Moina cultures lapse since the demise of my Liquorice Gourami - due to the Great Filter Foam Debacle - but I will restart them soon (I have some cysts ready to go). It may well be that they go for Moina rather than Daphnia.

So last night I grabbed a handful of gravel from the bottom of the bath and added about a litre-and-a-half of water from the top of the water column. This morning I sorted it into two glasses (Daphnia and mosquito larvae from the added water ; and Asellus/blackworm/bloodworm from the gravel).

I switched the lights on their tank early (set to 6am brightness) and used a turkey baster to add a bit from each glass. The tank was dim, but light enough so that I could see that they descended on the offering like the proverbial wolf on the fold. They definitely attacked the Asellus, and I saw two blackworms disappear down throats.

I took a short video of the glasses - thought you might like to see ...
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 amHorse chestnuts are supposed to repel them although i dont know how exactly.
Free range geckos in bathrooms also work well for keeping the numbers down ::thumb::

@Vale! Have you tried moving any of your cultures indoors and keeping them going over winter in spare tanks etc?
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!