Feeding silver hatchet fish

Food, feeding and diet.
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

My days of attempting to play cricket are sadly far behind me. In response to what I've been watching on telly this morning, I have a number of cans of beer lined up in front of me and am chugging through them as rapidly as I can.

Springtails don't have maggots!

I've taken some video, showing microworms and springtails. Video editing software isn't being completely obedient but I'm hopeful that it'll allow me to add some text if I can catch it offguard for a few moments.
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

LadyDay wrote:
plankton wrote: Do the hatchets not go for the frozen? Mine used to. Daphnia and anything smaller (cyclops etc) were taken. I also got some slow-sinking granules, but I can't remember what make they were........maybe Hikari? I used to use their products a lot when I last had a betta.
I've actually only tried brine shrimp  :blush:  I'll try something smaller, then they might also experience less competition from the bigger fish. I'll give it a go today. It would be lovely not to have maggots around! Should I worry about these tiny things disappearing from the fish, into the sand and such, and therefor creating extra waste?

the Hikari foods are quite good, I use the slow sinking granules & the Hikari pellets in my tank, they’re great for the embers, emeralds & my new Pygmy corys seem to really like them. I do have micro or chilli Rasboras in another tank but they are too big for them, not sure how big a hatchet fish mouth is, don’t think I’ve ever actually seen one 
LadyDay
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Jen1981 wrote:
LadyDay wrote:
plankton wrote: Do the hatchets not go for the frozen? Mine used to. Daphnia and anything smaller (cyclops etc) were taken. I also got some slow-sinking granules, but I can't remember what make they were........maybe Hikari? I used to use their products a lot when I last had a betta.
I've actually only tried brine shrimp  :blush:  I'll try something smaller, then they might also experience less competition from the bigger fish. I'll give it a go today. It would be lovely not to have maggots around! Should I worry about these tiny things disappearing from the fish, into the sand and such, and therefor creating extra waste?

the Hikari foods are quite good, I use the slow sinking granules & the Hikari pellets in my tank, they’re great for the embers, emeralds & my new Pygmy corys seem to really like them. I do have micro or chilli Rasboras in another tank but they are too big for them, not sure how big a hatchet fish mouth is, don’t think I’ve ever actually seen one 
I can find a food called Hikari Micro Pellets, none called slow sinking granules. I'll definitely consider getting some!
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Sorry it’s the micro wafers which are slow sinking and the micro pellets which are semi floating, they all seem to prefer the pellets though
LadyDay

Jen1981 wrote: Sorry it’s the micro wafers which are slow sinking and the micro pellets which are semi floating, they all seem to prefer the pellets though
I've noted both down  :)
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

Go ahead and ask further questions based on this (if you opt to consider either critter shown, of course)

[youtube]fWONsl1UosE[/youtube]
LadyDay

Vale! wrote: Go ahead and ask further questions based on this (if you opt to consider either critter shown, of course)

[youtube]fWONsl1UosE[/youtube]
Thank you so much for the awesome video! That took effort!
I love the springtails. They aren't even that yucky. What is the substrate you use for them? Some sort of soil? I thought I had a couple more questions, but right now I can't remember what they were. I'll hunt you down if I come up with more.  :)
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

I can't remember the brand name ; but I remember where I bought it. On the basis of that it's very likely to be one of the Exo Terra range of amphibian substrates.

I found the remnants from when I last changed their bedding but unfortunately it's not in the original bag.  There's lots of coco fibre in it, moss, bark and what looks like charcoal.

Light is fading a little bit here, so I took one pic without flash and one with :

Image        Image

Whatever's used it just needs to be able to soak up and hold a deal of the water that you put in the bottom of the tub, so that the food you drop in tends to go a bit mouldy (it doesn't smell!). Fungus is their favourite food, it seems.
LadyDay

[quote="Vale!" pid='32240' dateline='1566585151']Fungus is their favourite food, it seems.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a bit of fungus. I'm a champignon girl myself.
I expect if I go for something meant for amphibians it will work. They like moist stuff too after all.
I actually quite like the idea of breeding bugs for my fish. Might be a fun project! I may not advertise is to all visitors though, I might already be freaking dinner guests out a bit by keeping rats in my freezer (separate drawer, wrapped in two layers of plastic)! Some fellow nuts may find it interesting though and I have lovely, nutty friends.