Tetras eating sinking pellets...

Food, feeding and diet.
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Hi folks

I feel a bit guilty posting this after planktons post about feeding corys... :s
I got some pandas last week and the lfs guy suggested a sinking pellet for them. It's a high protein fishmeal type thing. Having now read the aforementioned guide I now plan on getting some tubifex or something similar, but in the meantime would like to continue with the pellets until I get the chance to change.

The pellets pose a problem
My rummy nose tetras seem to think they're great. And as amusing as it is to see them swimming round the tank balancing them on their noses, afterwards their stomachs get quite swollen (almost like oedema but without the pinecone affect) It settled the following day.
Is it safe to continue feeding these pellets?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

They should be fine to use until you get different foods. If your finding they look swollen after eating it may be worth reducing the feeding a little, you can also try crushing the food up to make it easier to eat.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I have exactly the same problem! Its my penguin tetra that grab the pellets then swim back up to the top of the tank, one grabs a pellet then charges up and down the tank trying to avoid the others, its like watching them play football ROFL
I always tap the tank before dropping in any food, so I do this, all the fish charge to the surface and I drop in food, then using a dropper, fire more food down towards the bottom for the corys. I also squash together a few of the high protein pellets, into a pea sized ball, this stops the other fish nicking them...although they all still stay on the bottom and feed, they cannot clear off with them :D
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I generally feed my tetra first, that distracts them.
My cory generally get the JMC high protein pellets and frozen blood worm.
The JMC high protein pellets sink but I generally throw them in so they sink faster.

lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

I've got several different types of food that I use.

I've got:
Aquarian Tropical Flakes
Tetra Pro Colour Fish Food
Aquarian Sinking pellets
Fluval Bug Bites tropical
King British Algae Wafers

I've got a mixture of floating and sinking food that i use at various times to try and make sure all my fish are fed so I'd suggest as has been mentioned, try feeding the fast moving hungry ones first with flakes and then chuck in some sinking pellets
311l 48x18x22

jacksdad
Posting Legend

The JMC that's been mentioned before is unavailable now, as far as I found. I bought King British Catfish pellets from my lfs, £6.28 for 200g tub. Its 54% protein and 15% fat, the corys love it, as do all the other fish!
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

jacksdad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 21:39 pm The JMC that's been mentioned before is unavailable now, as far as I found.....
It's still available on Amazon.
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

I’ve found it hard to get the JMC too.

One trick I use, particularly for target-feeding fry but also good for bottom-feeders, is a length of clear perspex tube about 1” diameter and 24” long (depending on the depth of the tank). Put this vertically in the tank and drop the sinking food down it. Good for live and frozen as well as sinking pellets. The food is delivered to the substrate and the top - dwellers are last in the queue.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Fishtales wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 21:52 pm
jacksdad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 21:39 pm The JMC that's been mentioned before is unavailable now, as far as I found.....
Good find! Biotope Aquatics are also selling on eBay, if you search for their name online, you get their unfinished page, with links to Amazon and eBay :D