What a surpise! New life!

Food, feeding and diet.
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Jon_D wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 22:35 pm I've had a good look at the eggs, and they are still attached to the leaves in the Incubation tank. I don't think they were fertilised; I will give them another day. Tomorrow is water change day, and with the level much lower I may find more on the big tanks wall. :-( Sad.
What colour are the eggs?
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Nope. no black dots PLANKTON.... I will try to take a macro photo of one of the leaves.
Just blobs! Nowt inside. :cry:
P.S. Macro lens was rubbish, so just used a close up shot with normal lens. background is kitchen paper. These photos will be priceless in a Tate Museum of Modern Art competition. :shy:

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

tbh those blobs look more like snail eggs to me. Do you have bladder or Ramshorn snails in your tank? Cory eggs usually are quite separate so you can make out the individual eggs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

I agree, cory eggs will be white or cream, depending on whether they're fertile or not..... ;)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Ric, I have bladder snails here. Good Lord! Am I trying to breed the damn things in my special tank?????? Anyway thanks for the information as I now know what the dreadful things look like.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Well, they are still ''new life''. If you do keep the eggs for a while, you can see the individual snails (snailets?) forming in that jelly mass, which is quite nice to watch...
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Sorry Ric, too late. I have mercied them. l have also started a purge on those in the tank. Overnight I left a piece of lettuce in the tank as suggested by some, as a bait for the snails and this morning I caught 2 iof my Nerites..... ;) not the oens I wanted, but maybe they are eating the bladders.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

haha - Sod's Law that you catch the nerites :D

As far as I know nerites just eat the algae/decaying plant matter but not sure on that one.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Nerites aren’t carnivores so they wouldn’t harm any other snails.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Well, ............I left some frech lettuce leaf in the tank and have just returned home, and see that the Nerites have shuffled off somewhere else. I am embarrassed to advertise the actual number of bladders caught , I stopped counting after 50. All mercied in front of the tank so survivors could see the punishment meted out for uncontrolled breeding. The tanks inhabitants are enjoying a "no food" day, so maybe the baldders were hungry too. Anyway the fishes will get fed normally for the next 6 days, but I will continue "bladdering" with my lettuce (or cabbage) lure (I cannot really use the term fishing in the circumstances). BTW the lettuce leaf is wrapped around a small stone to sink it, secured with a length of string to the tanks brim.