Holiday feeding

Food, feeding and diet.
Sunnieboy
Has liked: 6 times

Thanks, nervous about neat ammonia dosing, will probably experiment with the feeders over the next two weeks.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

Sunnieboy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 18:35 pm Thanks, nervous about neat ammonia dosing, will probably experiment with the feeders over the next two weeks.
I have an auto feeder on my tank all the time. Little eheim one. It goes off 4 times a day (I have a big tank and lots of fish) so the fish get little feedings but often. This helps reduce ammonia spikes by dumping a lot food in all at once once a day. It has small pellets in and I've never had issues with damp food. It does have a little fan inside when it feeds them which is meant to help keep the food dry/ good. I feed the fish flake/ frozen food in the evening so I can watch them.

When I go on hols I generally just leave the auto feeder on (as normal) and get someone to come in every 3 days or so to check on things and put some flake in if they want. (People like feeding the fish!) I do get a family member to feed the shrimp tank every other day as I feed such small amounts normally I can't set the auto feeder up to feed so little.

Whatever I normally feed any tank I tell anyone who is looking after them that I feed half as much. Then when they get over-zelous with the portions (most will) then the fish still get the same amount. Devious, but effective.

PS - I've had some fish in a medication tank for 5 days now (honey gourami and cardinal tetra). I've not fed them at all. They still look as fat as ever! Zero ill effects 5 days in.

Hope that helps.

Si

PPS - If you do get the eheim filter, I couldn't get the hole in the feeder small enough to do accurate feedings by just using the sliding door. I have to use tape over the hole to make it smaller so it was reasonable size meals and consistent in size.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Pop a prawn in a muslin bag while you're away, that'll keep the cycle ticking over nicely. ;)
(You'll need it in something or there'll be a right mess in the tank! ;) )
You shouldn't need to feed your current fish.
I've left mine for 3 weeks in the past with no problems.