Online frozen food?

Food, feeding and diet.
wildcherry
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 14 times

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere that sells a trusted brand of frozen food online (and ships so it doesn't defrost in the process?!)

Our LFS sadly closed down during the pandemic so can't walk out to buy it anymore :(

Am a bit wary about freeze-dried as an alternative, never used it before.

Thanks!

Cherry
Last edited by wildcherry on Wed Dec 23, 2020 17:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Not sure about online suppliers Cherry, but with freeze dried foods make sure you soak them for 10-20mins before feeding, otherwise it can cause digestive issues as it can absorb water. Think instant/freeze dried coffee, great in a cup mixed with water not so great when you just stick a spoonful in your mouth... :dodgy:
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I've never bought online either.
Sorry to hear about your LFS.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

I wouldn’t buy frozen online. There’s too much inconsistency in the quality.... and if it thaws it’s ruined. I have to see it in person before I buy it.
wildcherry

Thanks all, as I suspected :(

I've got them some Tetra Fresh Delica to see how they get on with that.

I'm a bit too nervous to try freeze-dried if I'm honest, although I don't suppose you can over-soak it? Maybe I could leave it in tank water all day to be on the safe side?!

We'll take a trip to a fish shop further afield when it's a bit safer out there to do so and stock up on frozen. Out of interest, what frozen brands do you go for?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Gamma, everytime. I used the P@H stuff and had a spate of deaths, not sure if it was related or just coincidental but not took the chance again since :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

I use Gamma, BCUK and Ocean Nutrition. Maidenhead Aquatics also do their own frozen foods and not had issue with that either. To be controversial, I have ordered online and not encountered any issues. The supplier packed them with a plastic freeze block, wrapped in a lot of foil and polystyrene. Very well packaged.... but would go to the shop where could. This was at the start of lockdown so had no choice
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

I’ve got a mix of brands from my LFS. It’s a lot closer than my nearest P@H let alone the nearest Maidenhead/Fishkeeper Scotland!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
wildcherry

Thanks everyone, will keep a look out for these when we next get into a shop (whenever that may be!)

Sadly our beloved local Fishkeeper Leith had to close as the small shopping Centre it was in never reopened after March lockdown. All staff and fish have gone to Fisherkeeper at Edinburgh Dobbies which I'll never shop in again, dead fish everywhere :(

Hope you're all keeping safe and well. At least we have our fishies :)
coynie09