Holiday feeding

Food, feeding and diet.
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

Cheers folks will think about it. I was looking at a piece of heavy duty plastic in B&Q intended to be used for under gravel driveways which would fit across the tank and has holes in it which I could get to allign with the automated food dispenser I bough from Juwel for my old tank. It would leave gaps that humid air would get out so to be safe I'd probably leave the hood up for a week and the plants would just have to cope with reduced light, can't see that being a problem. I once left the inner glass plate lid slightly open and the edge of the wooden outer lid warped, fortunately it went back in to shape when it dried out but lesson learned.
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

In the end I realsied i don't need the plastic thing from B&Q as I'd forgotten i still have a few pieces of left over egg crate from when i set the tank up at christmas. I can cut some of the inner links away to make a hole for the food to drop through and blank off the rest with gaffa tape, should work fine. I think i will leave the lid up while I'm away and shut off the CO2 so plants will hopefully stay alive from some light reacxhing them but won't go on a growth spurt.
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

What are people’s thoughts on those ‘holiday blocks’ that feed for two weeks or so ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
PJN
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

I wouldn't use them. They're more likely to cloud up the water and release ammonia - harming the fish more than feeding them. Fish are normally fine without food for a few weeks - My fish have survived 3 weeks without food with no ill effects. Most fish will in fact just pick on algae during that time - cleaning your tank a bit!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

PJN wrote: I wouldn't use them. They're more likely to cloud up the water and release ammonia - harming the fish more than feeding them. Fish are normally fine without food for a few weeks - My fish have survived 3 weeks without food with no ill effects. Most fish will in fact just pick on algae during that time - cleaning your tank a bit!
Good to know thanks, you see all these tempting products  :dodgy:
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry