Why can't I keep floating plants alive?

Caol Ila
Been liked: 14 times

As above, really. I had Amazon frogbit in the 240L tank, and salvinia in the 125L tank, and it's all but disappeared. There are planted plants in the substrate, and they are more or less fine. Soft water, PH of 6.6-ish.

Any ideas? Should I try different species?
Zebra Fish
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

I always struggled because I had too high of a flow which would ruin the roots or I'd get the leaves wet which a lot of the floating plants can't deal with. Maybe that's what's going on with you??
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Zebra Fish wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 0:00 am I always struggled because I had too high of a flow which would ruin the roots or I'd get the leaves wet which a lot of the floating plants can't deal with. Maybe that's what's going on with you??
Got it in one!

Frogbit is found in slow moving or stagnant water, originally found in Brazil it is also found in other places around the world via man's interference.

It doesn't do well in high flow aquariums, lower temperatures or under poor lighting.

You could try using a floating airline ring attached by sucker to the glass and put the plants within that ring to stop them rushing around the tank. Might work, never had a problem with growing it, if anything I used to throwing handfuls of it away because it grew so fast.
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

What's your set-up like? Are your fish eating it/the roots?
Caol Ila

I have a fair bit of flow at the surface of my tanks, and plants do get thrown around. I've seen the fish in the smaller tank nibbling at it but the ones in the big one didn't bother.

For a wee while, the salvinia in the 125L was looking really good. Could I have killed it bashing it around with a syphon during water changes?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Wouldn't of thought that would do it. Is the light close to the surface? that and loads of flow can be a killer.
Caol Ila

What's an airline ring? Googling leads to some interesting but not very enlightening results.
Zebra Fish
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Just a type of divider you can make to either make space around the splashing water or to keep the plants at a quieter end of the tank. I've done it before with suction cups and sewing string or fishing line :)

Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Yeah I'm currently employing the suction cups and fish line method. Too bad my honey gourami have munched their way through all the roots!
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 310 times

I've done the airtube/sucker combination before and it's worked pretty well (if you get good quality tubing & sicker), but for easiness now I just use a floating pond feeder ring does the trick and is barely visible once you get some decent growth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laguna-Floatin ... th=1&psc=1

There are cheaper ones available but the thats the one I use.