Algae on Plants

Sixo
Has Liked: 132 times
Been liked: 109 times

Algae on Plants

Post by Sixo »

Hi all,

In my tank u have what are regarded as hardy plants (cryptocoryne, limnophila sessiflora, Amazon sword, staurogyne repens) but I often have trouble with algae growing on them, giving them a dirty looking appearance. Think it's black beard algae.

Aside from looking a little grubby the plants generally do ok (don't use ferts or co2), just the occasional trim here & there.

I'm wondering if there's something I should be doing differently that would help my plants look a bit more green & healthy or is this just a fact of life of keeping live plants?

Thanks

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester
Has Liked: 1330 times
Been liked: 1428 times

Re: Algae on Plants

Post by Martinspuddle »

Pictures? :dodgy:
That’s the way the money goes, Pop! goes the weasel :cry:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2:

Sixo

Post by Sixo »

Get some in a bit lights were out by that time last night.

ricrhys
Has Liked: 45 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by ricrhys »

Morning! What size tank and light set up/regime?

Sixo

Post by Sixo »

ricrhys wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 am
Morning! What size tank and light set up/regime?
Morning!

It's a Juwel Trigon 190 with upgraded pump & LED light unit. Lights are on 8 hours a day.

Tank is stocked with approx 30 fish just now, weekly water change and I use seachem prime when doing so.

Only thing I use if needed are root clay sticks for plants, mainly the sword.

Soft water setup at 25 degrees.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester
Has Liked: 1330 times
Been liked: 1428 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Sixo wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 am
Get some in a bit lights were out by that time last night.
Excuses, excuses. :dodgy2:

Water flow and excess nutrients has a lot to do with the amount algae growing in an aquarium. What is your water volume turnover?
That’s the way the money goes, Pop! goes the weasel :cry:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2:

Stephen
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 69 times
Been liked: 334 times

Post by Stephen »

I had the black beard algae & I also had a far bit of diatoms for a several months after setting up my big tank but no longer.
At the time and having approx. 100 fish I was probably over-feeding too, I feed less nowadays.
The tank is now mature but I do use liquid fertiliser and liquid carbon (dosing at approx. 50% and daily).
I get a bit of green algae on the glass but that is easily wiped off during water changes.
I also experimented with spray bar positioning (both are now at the back of the aquarium) and also added 2 x circulation pumps which come on just before the lights and switch off just before feeding time, so about 5 hours a day, every day.
Everything is experimental until you get it right or close; water changes, positioning of spray bars, adding circulation pumps, lighting period, using fertilisers and liquid carbon, the amount of food you feed and what food you feed.
I don't have it spot on but it's as good as I'll get it. If I used CO2 and RO water then it would probably be even better despite having fairly soft water (4.6dGH).

I would probably use liquid fertiliser and liquid carbon at about 25% recommended dosage.
Add some fast growing plants to take up the nutrients more quickly than the algae.
I would cut back on the feeding a little.
Maybe increase the % of water changed.
Check that the water is circulating without any dead spots, if not then add a circulation pump.

All the best

Stephen

Stay safe & healthy everyone
600L - Rio Guaporé themed
7 x Biotodoma Cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 14 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 25 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras sterbai, 9 x Corydoras caudimaculatus

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has Liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 1007 times

Post by plankton »

Withe the Trigon it is quite difficult to get the flow right to get around the whole tank with plants, and keep the surface moving, but it can be done with patience. :)
I'd also cut back on feeding, what are the nitrates like in comparison to those from the tap?

Sixo

Post by Sixo »

Nitrates are pretty much zilch.

The limnophila sessiflora has been my ultimate go-to plant for a fast-growing algae resistant plant. I could always just stick to that throughout the tank if all else fails.

Would it be worth considering getting a wee quiet air pump/stone or something to put where there isn't as much flow?

I've started to get a bit more green algae on the glass of late had hoped my bristlenose would have taken a bit more of an interest in it.

ricrhys
Has Liked: 45 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by ricrhys »

I got a cheap powerhead to increase flow, worked a treat, you could bring the light period down to 6 hours.