Lava Rock - where from and how much (kg)?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Last Triumph
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 77 times

I want to create a cave/territory aqua scape along the rear lower half of my 4 ft aquarium using lava rock.

It looks to be sold by the kg, but I've no idea how much i will need.

Has anyone done this and can you report how many kgs you bought and how far it went?

Cheapest I've found is here...https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/lava ... escription

I'm imagining a typical piece will be about the size fo a coffee mug, or maybe a little bigger?

Any isight or experience appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4246 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Lava rock comes in all shapes, sizes and is surprisingly light in weight. Some pieces you might found big enough with holes though it to make a cave. You want aquascaper shop like Aquarium Gardens might be a start, their prices start at £3.49 per KG. Look for aquascaping shops near you, might have travel a bit but better to choose the rock yourself rather than relying on someone sending it to you. Putting it together, If it was me I would use something like Devcon epoxy or D-D Aquascape Aquarium Putty to stick it to make a cave.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

I have lava rock, as mentioned above it is very light so generally a good price. I live in Spain so cant help with comparisons sorry.
One thing to watch for, they can be depressions and holes in lava rocks which some fish like to get into, especially if there’s food about. I had a Cory that got himself stuck, he had wriggled in too far and couldn’t get out. Thankfully I spotted him and helped him out. I used a filler to seal holes and any depression that looked dodgy. Also some edges can be sharp so I also went over with am emery board just to take off any sharp bits.
Other than that very pleased with my lava rocks. :)