RO System

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Thanks for that fishtales. (I've spelt it right this time!)

I'll send them an email tomorrow.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

fr499y wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:40 pm Spotless water is a good shout. I've yet to test it though but from what I've heard, its 0TDS and as good as any RO water you could make. Can't remember if they use DI filters as well though.
Sorry but what is a DI filter and what difference does it make?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Fishtales wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 16:38 pm I finally got a proper reply from Northumbrian Water via email yesterday. They have said my water hardness is 23dGH and has been since January 2019.

If it is possible could someone help me with what system to buy within an £80.00 budget (less is always welcome). There are lots on the market and I don't know what I need.
23! Ouch! Thought my water was hard.

Another option for you is RO-Man which was the type of unit I use for my Marine and Reef aquariums. They have a good supply chain and very reasonably priced and come in 2 to 5 stage, I think even maybe a 6 stage units.

To give you an idea I use a three staged unit for my Reef.

https://www.ro-man.com/
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

Just seen this on their website...

https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Aquarium
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Thanks @Martinspuddle

I am thinking maybe The 4 Stage Professional Reverse Osmosis System

The 100 GPD option

And for storage these 25 Litre Jerry Can

A set of 4

This would be well within my larger budget, and I could add extra cartridges to qualify for free delivery.
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 21:32 pm Just seen this on their website...

https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Aquarium
It's alright if you've got a location near you but at that price with a 46 round trip it will be cheaper to go just the five minutes down the road to my local fish shop.

Is a great idea when they got more locations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fishtales
Posting Legend

I like the look of this to add to the above RO system. It reduces the water wastage and massively increases productivity:

Membrane Upgrade Kits

This would push me slightly over budget, but reducing waste by 40-50% would definitely be worth it.

I might start talking to myself in this thread, but it helps writing ideas down ROFL
Fishtales
Posting Legend

With TDS Meters, I gather these are important to check when the membrane needs replacing?

Would an inline one be best:

Inline TDS Meter

Or a portable one:

TDS-TM3 Meter with built-in thermometer

The inline sounds good, but doesn't mention having a built in thermometer. Don't know how relevant/important that is. The second one does state it has a thermometer, but I have seen ones that look the same on ebay selling very cheap. Don't know if they are the same and maybe not very accurate.

ETA I have now sent an enquiry to RO-Man. I have specified what and how it will be used, and have listed the items I think might be a good choice. I will hopefully get an answer soon as to what they advise :)
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 21:28 pm Sorry but what is a DI filter and what difference does it make?
If I recall how my old RO-man unit worked, four stage filters starts with a sediment filter and are designed to remove suspended solids from the water before it enters into your demineralisation resins (DI filter) are used to reduce the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) Then onto reverse osmosis membrane which catches the molecules (microscopic contaminants) from the water passing through a semi-permeable membrane and finally after all that the water passes though a carbon block filter which is used to filtering particulates, lead and other contaminants from water. Think that was the order it worked in.

Complicated stuff! :huh:
Fishtales
Posting Legend

I am still in the process of contacting suppliers to try and get as much info and advice as possible before purchase. The complete set up at the moment would be just over £200.00, ,meaning it will still be a couple of weeks until I can afford it. This is because of extras and thinking a bigger unit will benefit my situation.

As you saw from my water supplier my average water hardness is 23 dGH. I tested it again yesterday and it was 26 dGH.

Anyway I would like advice from you guys as to what the best water hardness I will be aiming for for my fish. This will impact the performance I require from my RO System.

I have:

1 x Sailfin pleco
1 x Rainbow Shark
9 x Cory Aeneus
5 x Clown Loach
1 x Black Widow Tetra (All that's left after the flood/power cut)

Also advice on how quickly I can safely reduce the water hardness in my tank when I get the RO water would be helpful :)