Beneficial bacteria in filter media

The science behind successful fishkeeping
PaulVerrall
Posting Legend
Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 781 times

Beneficial bacteria in filter media

Post by PaulVerrall »

The wife's cousin bought her son a 240l juwel tank with 2 axoloti in it.
Same old story, bad advice from LFS saying tank will cycle itself in a few days.
Anyway I got her to test the water and Ammonia was zero, nitrite was very high and nitrates were around 20ppm.
So I cracked open my filter replaced sponges and took the used media and put in her filter. But it didnt work. Would this be down to temperature? My tank runs at 25° but hers is 16°
So at the moment she is doing 50% water change every other day and adding Prime and stability to the tank in the hope of keeping them alive until the cycle is completed.
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 3439 times
Been liked: 1891 times

Re: Beneficial bacteria in filter media

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Quite possibly the bacteria need to adapt to temperature changes, and in colder water it is harder for them to establish.
They might still adapt and kick in in a couple of days.
Did you also add any gunk you could find in your filter as that will house some bacteria as well :)
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 2987 times
Been liked: 2414 times

Post by plankton »

Yes, the cooler water will take longer to cycle anyway, and, as @Gingerlove05 says, the established munchers will have to adjust/adapt to the cooler temps.

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend
Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by PaulVerrall »

Cool cheers, yeah I used the foams and added a dirty fine filter pad.
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

SPACKlick
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by SPACKlick »

The bacteria are good down to about 10C but they do slow down as the temperature goes down. They process (Roughly, napkin math) about half as much ammonia & Nitrite at 15C as they would at 25C. The colony will also grow much slower.
250L: Tank Log
21 Panda Corys, Mixed Pair of Bristlenose Pleco, 3-6 1-3cm babies and 2 dozen eggs, 2 Zebra Nerite Snails, 15 Amano Shrimp, 23 Cherry Barbs 8M:15F

90L: Quarantine tank
4 Honey Gourami, 2 Assassin Snails.