Should I manually adjust my levels?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I have Malawi cichlids in with a blood parrot.
All doing great. I recently took all the decor out and put in a load of rocks In for them. My water levels have all been perfect but now my nitrate has climbed to between a fraction above 40ppm and my nitrite up to between 0.25/0.50.
My question is should I a) add chemicals to adjust b) do a water change, I do a 30% weekly, c) leave it in lieu of the rock going in and it'll sort it self.

Cheers guys
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

The nitrate concentration isn't a particular worry ; but the nitrite is becominv so.

Do an extra (30%) water-change and monitor. If the nitrite creeps up again, further water-changes until you regain control.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ok cool thanks, will do that now
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

The Malawis are veggies I presume?
The parrot will be a carnivore....
How are you feeding?
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

The Malawi's get a tablet that sinks and dissolves, it's made up of algae and veggie mix.
The parrot has his own food which is shrimp, blood worm and other stuff mixed.
Although both eat each others food?!
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

I was considering Blood Parrots for my 5ft tank if I keep it. However now it is likely I will need to keep my Cories in that tank. After watching a video of one eating a Rainbow Shark, they will not be joining them! ROFL

Blood Parrot eats Rainbow Shark!

They are deceptively cute looking to my eye. Lovely kept with the right fish though. Would love to see pictures @PaulVerrall :D
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Fishtales wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 13:11 pm I was considering Blood Parrots for my 5ft tank if I keep it. However now it is likely I will need to keep my Cories in that tank. After watching a video of one eating a Rainbow Shark, they will not be joining them! ROFL

Blood Parrot eats Rainbow Shark!

They are deceptively cute looking to my eye. Lovely kept with the right fish though. Would love to see pictures @PaulVerrall :D
I'll try and get a better pic tonight, this was from the wife's phone.
I think it's a he but the wife is convinced it's a she. He has bundles of personality, eats from hand now and does lots of digging/rearranging of his tank!
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 13:30 pm
I think it's a he but the wife is convinced it's a she. He has bundles of personality, eats from hand now and does lots of digging/rearranging of his tank!
Looks beautiful Paul. Yes I read they have fantastic personalities. I love that you have built a relationship with yours. Feeding her (I will side with your wife here ROFL ) from your hand must give you such an attachment to her :)

Lol, nice that they are arranging the tank as they want it! :D

I can't believe the one in the video still looks all cute and sweet with a shark hanging out of its mouth! ROFL You are very lucky to have one, they are lovely :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Fishtales wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 14:26 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 13:30 pm
Looks beautiful Paul. Yes I read they have fantastic personalities. I love that you have built a relationship with yours. Feeding her (I will side with your wife here ROFL ) from your hand must give you such an attachment to her :)

Lol, nice that they are arranging the tank as they want it! :D

I can't believe the one in the video still looks all cute and sweet with a shark hanging out of its mouth! ROFL You are very lucky to have one, they are lovely :)
Thanks, we all love Him! Lol
I never knew fish could be so clever and have such personality and character.
There's a YouTube video https://youtu.be/vVnE9o5Uxik
This is what we are hoping to achieve! A lot of places you read that people hate Parrot fish because they are a man made hybrid and not a real fish etc. That they are ugly! I think they are great! We are hoping to have another tank in 2/3 years time, a really large one that I wanted to go marine but at the moment we are thinking a colony of blood parrots lol