How long do you recon for ammonia to build up?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

plankton wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 am But most bleach is chlorine based?
I'd get an ammonia-based kitchen cleaner if you want to show the ammonia content.
Well.... I guess I could clean my kitchen and get one. 🤣. I’ll dig deep into me cupboards and see what I got!
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

brain fart :)

Nip down your local Homebase

https://www.homebase.co.uk/max-strength ... ml_p400283
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Perhaps I am missing something? Wasn't the point of the experiment to find out how long it would take for ammonia to appear? In which case, adding ammonia-based anything would defeat the purpose of the set-up, no? ;)
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Ric wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am Perhaps I am missing something? Wasn't the point of the experiment to find out how long it would take for ammonia to appear? In which case, adding ammonia-based anything would defeat the purpose of the set-up, no? ;)
May as well just test the bottle of ammonia. :)

How about add a tiny bit of Biomature or TSS to a little bit to dechlorinated water and watch a whole cycle-in-a-glass...? Maybe add a few pieces of porous media to get enough bacteria for test results that register...
Ruth
Posting Legend

Ric wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am Perhaps I am missing something? Wasn't the point of the experiment to find out how long it would take for ammonia to appear? In which case, adding ammonia-based anything would defeat the purpose of the set-up, no? ;)
No - I wanted to show how water can look clean, but be very harmful! So I need two glasses of water and see the difference lurking in the chemistry!!
Ruth
Posting Legend

black ghost wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:56 am
May as well just test the bottle of ammonia. :)

How about add a tiny bit of Biomature or TSS to a little bit to dechlorinated water and watch a whole cycle-in-a-glass...? Maybe add a few pieces of porous media to get enough bacteria for test results that register...
To be honest there are hardly any kids engaging at the minute. I think they have declared their own summer break and downed tools!!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Ruth wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 15:12 pm To be honest there are hardly any kids engaging at the minute. I think they have declared their own summer break and downed tools!!
Don't blame them .....It's Sunday don't you know! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Ruth wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 15:11 pm
No - I wanted to show how water can look clean, but be very harmful! So I need two glasses of water and see the difference lurking in the chemistry!!
Water and ammonia - toxic
Water and an acid/alkali - toxic to some, or all life at extremes
Water and salt - toxic to freshwater life
(Plain water - toxic to marine life)
Water and temperature
Water and tds...
Water and chlorine

The more you think about it, the more ways come up that water can look and even smell ‘nice’ but not be...