Cat amongst the Pigeons'

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Related question:

How do you know if you actually have Chloramine in your water?

Does it go by another name as well?

Looking at UU's full results for my postcode I can see the CHlorine levels

(L-R Min , Avg, Max)

But nowhere on there can I find any reference to Chloramine
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Ok , interesting article from Anglian Water
If only a small amount of water is added to an aquarium or pond to make up for evaporative loss, do chloramines still have to be removed?

This will depend on the amount of water added in relation to the size of the aquarium or pond and the time period over which it's added. Instead of removing chloramines they can be controlled by monitoring for a total chlorine residual in the aquarium or pond while adding the chloraminated water, rather than a free chlorine residual. For both chlorine and chloramine residuals, the total chlorine in the water used to keep fish should be kept below 0.1 mg/l. Total chlorine test kits are available from pet shops and pool supply shops.
Last edited by mikeyw64 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Interestingly @mikeyw64 I did ask southern Water this question and they said that yes they used both chlorine and chloramine in the water in North Kent but I will have to admit that was over a decade ago. This came about because where we were living we were quite close to the underground reservoir and I wanted to know why was it we could smell the chlorine in the water. It was actually bad enough that if you had a glass of water from the tap I would find it promptly made you feel sick. The answer at the time was the tests have shown that there was higher than acceptable levels of pathogens detected in the reservoir and they'd increase the amount of chlorine for safety.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

some other interesting bits from the same article

Ammonia is also released when chloramines are chemically removed

Does bottled water contain chloramines?

It could if it is a table water rather than a natural spring or mineral water, as table water can be supplied from a mains water supply that is chloraminated.
Martinspuddle

mikeyw64 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am Ammonia is also released when chloramines are chemically removed
Slightly concerning. :dodgy2:

Somewhere I did read something on the lines of using a mild dose of Hydrogen Peroxide as a dechlorinator?!

Found it! https://www.h2o2.com/industrial/applica ... lorination
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am Interestingly @mikeyw64 I did ask southern Water this question and they said that yes they used both chlorine and chloramine in the water in North Kent but I will have to admit that was over a decade ago. This came about because where we were living we were quite close to the underground reservoir and I wanted to know why was it we could smell the chlorine in the water. It was actually bad enough that if you had a glass of water from the tap I would find it promptly made you feel sick. The answer at the time was the tests have shown that there was higher than acceptable levels of pathogens detected in the reservoir and they'd increase the amount of chlorine for safety.
At least you got a reply! I emailed southern water 4 months ago and I'm yet to get a reply!
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 am
F3l1ss wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 14:19 pm This is such a bait post, you know what reaction you're looking for when you use inflammatory language.
You can always take risks with animal care if you're lazy and careless and seem to get away with it.
If your referring to my comments, never used inflammatory language, nor am I careless or lazy.
I wasn't referring to you at all but the OP...
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

It's only inflammatory if you choose to read it that way :)
Martinspuddle

mikeyw64 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 13:39 pm It's only inflammatory if you choose to read it that way :)
Didn't think red diesel burns that well?! :grin:
Martinspuddle

PaulVerrall wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am Interestingly @mikeyw64 I did ask southern Water this question and they said that yes they used both chlorine and chloramine in the water in North Kent but I will have to admit that was over a decade ago. This came about because where we were living we were quite close to the underground reservoir and I wanted to know why was it we could smell the chlorine in the water. It was actually bad enough that if you had a glass of water from the tap I would find it promptly made you feel sick. The answer at the time was the tests have shown that there was higher than acceptable levels of pathogens detected in the reservoir and they'd increase the amount of chlorine for safety.
At least you got a reply! I emailed southern water 4 months ago and I'm yet to get a reply!
Try using a telephone ....works for me! :tongue: