Stalled fishless cycle?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I’m trying to cycle little 25l tank for shrimps and making a pigs ear of it.
Basically it’s only got sponge filter and no flow. So I had everything covered in diatoms and grass was rotting. The other plant seems to grow but covered now in algae.
Anyway, nitrites and nitrates gone up, and stayed there for a few days, then dropped. Then I couldn’t resist but done water change just to get rid of some of the rotten stuff and some diatoms. Redosed ammonia. Since then ammonia is not dropping at 1ppm now been 48hrs, also tiny trace of nitrites, no nitrates.
I think I ruined it 🙈🙈
I’m in no rush at all. Shall I clean it properly and start again? Or wait until nitrites go up again?
Also got bladder snail in there, doing good cleaning. Would Nerite snails survive if I put them there to help with cleaning algae? Or are they more sensitive to ammonia and nitrites?
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

Quick question just because I'm interested, why didn't you cycle it by using some media from your other tank/tanks? I can't give an answer to your question though sorry I don't really know, I know bladder snails are pretty much indestructible so they won't care. But not sure on nerite snails.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

MasonJ19 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am Quick question just because I'm interested, why didn't you cycle it by using some media from your other tank/tanks? I can't give an answer to your question though sorry I don't really know, I know bladder snails are pretty much indestructible so they won't care. But not sure on nerite snails.
I only have sponge filter in the little one, so nowhere to add media from big filter 🙈 I squeezed sponge into water but not sure if that makes any difference.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

What is your ph? Stalled cycles are generally due to a pH crash. If it was me, I would keep on with the cycle.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

BigBen wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 13:02 pm What is your ph? Stalled cycles are generally due to a pH crash. If it was me, I would keep on with the cycle.
Just tested and pH is around 7, same as in big tank or tap water.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Redpanda wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 14:02 pm
BigBen wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 13:02 pm What is your ph? Stalled cycles are generally due to a pH crash. If it was me, I would keep on with the cycle.
But that’s after a water change so it could have crashed a few days ago, pre water change? When mine goes, it goes fast.
I definitely find smaller tanks harder to cycle and pH drops faster in them.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 16:22 pm
Redpanda wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 14:02 pm
But that’s after a water change so it could have crashed a few days ago, pre water change? When mine goes, it goes fast.
I definitely find smaller tanks harder to cycle and pH drops faster in them.
It’s possible you know. Especially I have KH close to 0.
I’ll keep measuring ph as well 😊
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

What's the GH?
It may well be that with a low KH you need to add bicarbonate for the munchers to use during a cycle.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:13 am What's the GH?
It may well be that with a low KH you need to add bicarbonate for the munchers to use during a cycle.
Sorry missed your post. GH is around 3-4 🙈🙈

So I’m not sure cycling worked. Now have ammonia going down in 2-3 days after every top up. Only trying to top up to max of 2ppm. Nitrites show up slightly on the day 2-3 then drop to zero when ammonia is cleared.
Does it mean that this is cycled?
Or should I start all over ?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

I would do a water change, then top up to 2ppm ammonia and see what happens.
Keep your eye on the ph. ;)