Going bigger

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Sounds like a late developer. That is particular to swordtails - some of the males stay small but mature early; others grow quite big in body, like a female, then mature into a full male.
Sometimes people think they're changing sex but I don't believe that at all.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Si4geckos wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 15:13 pm
Stephen wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 0:33 am
Si4geckos wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 19:25 pm
Stephen wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 0:12 am
Si4geckos wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 23:52 pm I've bought some decent camera gear. Trying to become a corporate event photographer (among other projects). I slap a watermark on photos now because last time I posted a sterbai image someone stole it to sell some of theirs on ebay near me (Theirs were very poor quality). They refused to take the image down as they said I had no proof it was mine. Now I do ;) Still lots to learn, but I'm glad you like em.
Nice photos. :)
What gear are you using Si? Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax?
I've just upgraded to a Canon 5D mkIV. I also have 3 lenses, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II, Canon EF 24-70mm f4L IS and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS.
I am hoping to add another lens in the new year probably the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS.

Stephen
I've got a canon 5d MKiii, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 mkii. I considered the mkiv body, but couldn't see huge benefits considering the price difference. I do corporate events with my camera hence why my lenses are all low light specific. I'd like a macro to play around with, but there's not huge amounts I can't do with the 2 zooms I've already got.
I loved the 70-200mm f/2.8L when I had one, I had some great images with that lens a few years ago, I also had a 24-70mm f/2.8 again with some great images.
I had to sell all my gear (back in 2012) to basically keep a roof over my head, that was a few years ago and I have been building my gear back up.
That’s sad when you had all the nice toys. Needs must though! No point having a shiny camera if you live in a box.

Was it you selling the 6d mkii on here recently? Considering getting one as a second shooter at a discounted price compared with the 5d. Any thoughts? Then I can be one of those wild-west style double harnessed photographers I see about.
Yes I had a 7D mkII for sale (less than 5000 shutter count), now sold.
My new 5D mkIV has zero shutter count so I have not tested it yet, just waiting for the weather to pick up or dry up.

The 6D mkII is a lot lighter than the 5D mkIII (765g versus 950g), the 6D mkII is 26MP full frame with a fully articulated LCD screen.
An old friend had the 6D and swore by it.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Yes, that's why people think they change sex, the very late development.......
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

Couple of changes in the big tank.

Firstly after the Christmas fairies have been, I've installed a jebao SW-4 wavemaker. Been playing around with it for a week or so and I'm pretty happy with placement and set up now. I got the wavemaker to increase flow and surface agitation. Originally placed it near the water surface, but it was too loud, pulsing/ creating waves. Sounded like a phone constantly vibrating. Deeper down and I've finally got it pretty silent. I have it set on full power which seems to blow detritus about 5feet along the length of the tank, which is reasonable to say it's towards the bottom of the tank. I have it on top speed/ full power, but also on random mode, which cycles from constant on to various wave cycles. Taken the fish 3/4 days to get used to, but now they seem to like the 'river' effect. Also has a night mode setting which calms it down to a gentle flow at night.

It's a cool bit of kit, but the most interesting thing has been the fish behaviour. My L397 has a new found confidence and seems to be out and about all over the tank since installing it. Before he just stayed under 1 piece of wood and had about a 6 inch range at most at feeding time. I'm surprised it's brought him out, but really happy too as he's a cool looking fish! The other thing is the shrimp. I was always under the impression crystal red shrimp liked slow very calm water. When I installed the wavemaker they made an active move towards it playing in the current and getting as close as possible to the pump. Very surprising.

x2 of the shrimp are berried to and I even found a smaller shrimp that must've been born and raised in the big tank. Nice to know at least one survived in there.

The next thing I added 48hrs ago were some pleco caves. 'Mr Plec' (Golden ancistrus) has never hidden and constantly moves around the tank. Panaqolas just hid under the log. This morning I woke up to see Mr Plec exploring one of the larger caves and hiding in it for a few minutes. Glad to see he (she) may have actually chosen a home). I added x5 caves of 2 different sizes as I'm on the look out for a mate for my L397 and wanted breeding cave options. Also been strongly considering an L046 (zebra) as I may have found some cheap snub-nosed (not bothered about the snub-ness) ones, but not sure they'll do well in my tank at it'll be a bit too cold. Decisions, decisions.

If anyone wants cheap pleco caves, I've used terracotta plant watering spikes off amazon. About £12-15 for x6 I think (Christmas elves bought mine). I got the set with 2 different sizes. They're hexagonal with a tapered end and the perfect size/ length for my plecs. Or you can buy one 'proper' one for smilar prices from the fish shops.
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Does the wavemaker get the crap up off the sand and into the water column without moving the sand about?
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

piker wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 18:13 pm Does the wavemaker get the crap up off the sand and into the water column without moving the sand about?
If I has heavier/ coarse sand then I could put the wavemaker lower, but my sand is super fine, so it'd kick it up all over the place. It would move detritus with more weighty substrate. I have the wave make pointing slightly up and accross the length of the tank. The only place I get any muck deposits is in the plants at the back of the tank, but every few hours x2 large air stones come on and lift the waste from the back, to the front, then the wave maker moves it across to the filter input.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Here's a little video, mainly showing the L397 on show. Quality and colours are poor as it's only off my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9OY5JFNc6M
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Good idea with the air stones,L397 is a stunner.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Last night I saw one of the sword tails have a weird lump on it's top lip. About a 1-2mm diameter sphere and a weird bit of black stuff. I was very worried until I realised it was a sticky sterbai egg with a bit of black algea on it just stuck to his top lip! Must've tried to scoff one and misjudged it. Quite funny watching it swim round trying to suck it in haha. Unless the sterbai was very accurate with egg placement!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

ROFL some accuracy and skill if they laid it there!