Wiggles tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
Wiggles

Re: Wiggles tank

Post by Wiggles »

Honey gouramis, they were one of the first fish I had in the other tank that got upgraded to this ones so had them 9 months or so I guess? And just seem to randomly lose one every now and again, just bad luck fish for me!

Never really had much other loses apart from a few hatchet fish jumping out and now for some reason 2 missing rummy noses.

So currently have ;

8 cardinal tetra
6 rummy nose tetra
6 panda Cory
2 honey gourami
2 marbeled hatchetfish
2 Bolivian rams
1 brittlenose plec

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by plankton »

Sorry for your losses. :(
I don't have much luck with honeys either.

Ric
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Post by Ric »

Sorry to hear that. As you said, though, the rummies could have been gone for a while, maybe due to something completely unrelated. As long as you keep up with your maintenance and, for now, also keep more of any on the fish, hopefully thing will calm down now.

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Hatchets can be jumpy, quite literally :-/ lovely fish though :)
Honeys do seem to be a sensitive bunch, I think their lifespan is around 2years and you never know how old they are when you get them. They never lasted long for me but we have hard water which isnt great for them long term.

Wiggles

Post by Wiggles »

The remaining rummy noses are big now they are considerably bigger than the cardinals, when I got them they were smaller.

So the rest seem to be doing alright not sure what happened. I keep a close eye and on everyone else.

Wiggles

Post by Wiggles »

Long time no updates, been a bit of a crazy year hasn't it!

Tank is still going, still haven't got around to scaping it properly just been looking after it trying to keep it clean etc.

The pipework could really do with replacing now one of valves failed (open rather than closed so works but not adjustable) substrate also not looking great growing some kind of algae I can pick out but very time consuming doing it all the time!

Ideal plan would be strip it down, replace pipework, substrate and rescape it all but not exactly easy with the 30 residents living in there

Andys temperate tank
Multi TOTM Winner
Multi TOTM Winner

Post by Andys temperate tank »

Hello wiggles. I've forgot what that algae is called but its caused by a lack of flow.

If you want to re scape from scratch get yourself a 60l tub from b and m bargains. Put your fish in there for a few hours while you do the work then put them back in. ::thumbu::

You would need a small heater and maybe an air stone or air powered sponge filter for the tub.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L: 48 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, breeding pair of platinum angelfish, 14 corydoras duplicareas, 1 blue ram.
55L cube 1: 1 blue ram
55l cube 2: platinum half moon betta (Thor).

Wiggles

Post by Wiggles »

I did briefly have a wave maker that helped with the flow issues but was way to powerful for my small fish so may have to get another more suitable one.

I have thought about the tub idea but catching 30 fish and then having two grumpy rams in a small tub together sounds like a lot of hassle

Andys temperate tank
Multi TOTM Winner
Multi TOTM Winner

Post by Andys temperate tank »

Wiggles wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 17:38 pm I did briefly have a wave maker that helped with the flow issues but was way to powerful for my small fish so may have to get another more suitable one.

I have thought about the tub idea but catching 30 fish and then having two grumpy rams in a small tub together sounds like a lot of hassle
Get an extra tub for a ram.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L: 48 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, breeding pair of platinum angelfish, 14 corydoras duplicareas, 1 blue ram.
55L cube 1: 1 blue ram
55l cube 2: platinum half moon betta (Thor).

Wiggles

Post by Wiggles »

Today's job was taking the top off... This tank is i don't know how many years old as bought by me a year ago but owned by at least two people before me. The wood is starting delaminate on the lid so trying it without, need to replace the lights anyway as the tube lights aren't the best but obviously worse now as light up 360 degrees rather than just into the tank, might have got a fluval plant 3.0 sorted....

Think it looks quite good, going to replace the glass lids with clear acrylic to make them lighter and easier to use, also going to get some black to cover the Weir at the back so the pipes are less ugly.