Jon's TroublesomeTank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

That is possible PLANKTON, although it was on thick carboard. My larger tank is on bubble-wrap. Anyway I took the leaky one back to the supplier and they will test it to confirm where it leaks.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

OK dear colleagues, this is where I am going to need your advice and experience. The transfer of my fish from the leaky tank took place 24 hours ago. The water is very murky as one would expect. The larger tank is planted. But I’d like advice on the readings as the tank has to be cycled with the fish in it.
7 days ago when I intended to start the fishless cycle I had added Dr. Tims Ammonia drops as guided.
As soon as the fish were put in, I added SeaChem Prime and API QuickStart again as guided.
Filters, both biological and mechanical were transferred from the leaky tank as were some plants.
I am waiting for SeaChem Stability to be delivered today.

Readings this morning are:-
Ammonia/ammonium = 2.ppm
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 12.5
Water PH= 6.5
  • The fish seem lively and still have their appetites.
    I am concerned that there is no Nitrite…should I be?
    When shall I perform the water change, and what percentage?
    Is there anything else I should do?
All suggestion most gratefully received as I haven’t been in this emergency position previously. All my cycles have been fishless. And took 6 – 8 weeks.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I’d do at least 50% water change to bring it down to 1ppm or below, the lower the better. Normally you can follow the instructions on Dr tims as its one of the bacteria in a bottle products that works when the instructions are follow (same for TSS and Stability). Also Prime binds the food source for TSS so they dont work when mixed together, but Prime and Stability work together :)
Also Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite and can be dosed at 5x regular dosage in emergencies.
If your media in the filters is already established you might not see a nitrite reading as the nitrite munchers are more resilient than the ammonia munchers.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

GINGERLOVE:- Many thanks for the help, especially the water change. I was wondering how the fish could see the food in the cloudy water !! ;) After these past few days, I reckon I have personally increased the level of the River Tees up here in the Dale by several feet. If there is a flood further down, blame me. Just received the SeaChem Stability and will add after the change according to instructions. As luck would have it, the transfer to the larger tank seems to have brought out the amorous feelings of some fish. Two of my Peppered Corries are snuggling up to each other and strangely two of my Otos are doing the same. :heart: The latter were part of the first 4, I placed in the smaller tank 5 – 6 weeks ago , and that group are now about 1.4 inches long. My later group of 4 , of 2 weeks ago, seem to be thriving and filling their little bellies……… (Just had a phone call now, from the smaller tank suppliers Jollye Pets Store Darlington. There is a definite leak and they will supply me with a new one tank complete with heaters and filter pumps, even though I have the old items from the leaky tank….. I told them as I live a fair bit away I will pick it up after Xmas… sorry of inserting that message…) But back to the fish, I will not even going to try and catch the lovers and put them in the “Honeymoon tank” (5 gallons) as they have had enough excitement this week . Again GINGERLOVE, many thanks again for the advice. Now off to raise the river level.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

No problem :)
Sounds like you got the little tank sorted, and free equipment :D
Hopefully with the water changes prime and stability it will settle for you soon :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

I will give the extra equipment back, GINGERLOVE, as the shop was honest with me. They could have easily said that the leak was my fault. But Regards the water changes: I usually do a 20% change once a week. Would you suggest more often until the cycle settles down? Also how often would you suggest I supply the SeaChem ?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fair enough :)
Yeah while ammonia is present i would do water changes every day to keep the ammonia level down, and i think it needs to be below 1ppm for the bacteria in a bottle products to work effectively as they are designed for a small number of fish. Although the prime will detoxify any ammonia/nitrite for 24hours. The filter will catch up, keeping the levels low is more important for the fishes benefit :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

That's great. Again many many thanks.
P.S I am using a tablet, so cannot click the "Thank You" button .😩
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Don't keep moving the fish about.
Leave them where they are and sort the water out. If they spawn, they spawn, but they will be very stressed if you move them again and could have problems instead of spawning. ;)

Good news about the tank. :)

P.S. The Dr. Tim's is basically ammonia, so don't add that while you have fish in the tank. ;)
That's mainly @Gingerlove05
Jon_D
Posting Legend

No problems PLANKTON, I will gratefully follow all the advice given. BTW, we have snow up here in the Dale. Now much but its a start.