Benvilles' Roma 240

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Fingers crossed it works.
;)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

SAE's are fast when they want to be! I'd say they would be the least likely to get munched
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Sounds like a good plan, good luck, keep us posted with progress !
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

Thinking out loud on this one for planning...

- Get box/big bucket, fill with Daves water and a couple of rocks, then decant Dave to container.
- Remove the rest of his hardscape and add more substrate for planting.
- Transfer majority plants, root tabs etc as I do so, add some wood and rock from Bertha for continuity
- Fill the 90L with water from Bertha, this I figure is an important part
- Seed U3/4, whichever I buy, with mature media from U2
- This is the query point = since I've filled the 90L with water from Bertha, I should be okay to just straight transfer livestock? I won't be able to keep Dave in a bucket forever and was thinking this would allow me to very quickly move fishies to the new plantscape.
- Then slowly acclimate Dave to the 240L since it'll be new water for him.

The 240L will eventually allow me a lot more space to add furniture/things for him to explore. In that size I've read I could even add a second Cray, or would that be a bad idea with the age gap, putting a youngling in with an adult?
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Not that I’m an expert but as you say it’s the same water from Bertha, maybe just keep an eye on the temp of water it may cool ??
I’m excited for Dave getting a new place to explore !
Benville

I'm now also toying with the idea of using this as a chance to fiddle with filters, although I'll have to do it sneakily and hope the wife doesn't notice haha.

As I'll be half emptying Bertha anyway, I could go the whole hog, totally empty it and convert it for use with an FX4. Whether that's adjusting the under-tank pipes, or capping those off and switching to over-the-back. I could then use my 307 on the 90L to give tons of filtration for the fishies there.

I can use media from the U2 and Frankenfilter-EF to partially seed the FX4, then obviously the 307 is as-is (which will again make transition easy, since it'll be Bertha filter and Bertha water going into the 90L).
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

well i can't see the two tanks being much different. They are both coming from the same water source after all. Maybe do a quick test on both and see the outcome?
Benville

My thinking was the difference in tank conditions. Bertha is quite heavily planted, has daily C02 and very little hardscape. Daves tank has no plants, no daily additives and is full of rocks, so potentially a much higher silicate content. Until recently I was battling rampant brown algae in Daves tank for example whereas it's never existed in Bertha.

I've got a pair of Atyas to move over, which can be sensitive, and obviously the Otos are as sensitive as can be.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I'd be inclined to just do a water refresh, as there's not much going on in the water itself anyway.
All the action is in the filter. You'll need most of the old media from the fish tank into THEIR smaller tank, and transfer Dave's media to HIS new tank. ;)
Benville

In other news...

I think Dave is actually Davina!

Image view tonight

And info images