The Fireplace Community :: Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Ok so first up I'll unashamedly say much of this has been covered in myoriginal "Patience" thread however not all of it and hey, this seems the place to leave a log   :)

My journey with my first ever tank began on 21st Aug when I ended up buying an 80 litre tank late one night from ebay. The frame itself is made of a granite like kitchen worktop material which even when empty weighs a ton and it was sold as a "coffee table " style tank.

Myself and my GF had been talking about getting some fish for a short while and key to getting this one is that it would fit perfectly in the fireplace in our snug. At this point I knew zilch about fishkeeping.

So the next weekend I took a trundle from Wigan over to York to pick it up before returning home and making what could so easily have been mistake  #1 and that would be not leak checking it first before putting it in position. Fortunately there were no leaks.

This is where with hindsight  I made mistake #2 and that would be not using water conditioner on the initial fill. I did however leave it sit for 2 days before visiting the LFS (see I'm getting the jargon lol) where my education began (and which has improved greatly since finding this community). NB I did actually take a water sample with me on my first visit there.

Came home with 4 Platys (2 Orange & 2 black plus some water conditioner, filter medium, gravel, an Aqua One 102F filter  and a whole load of advice on cycling the tank). At some point along the line I may well have bought a Tardis to "compliment" the plastic plants my GF had bought (TBH if she had had her way the tank would have been filled with fish day 1 as well).

Couple of weeks in I also added in the airstone and sponge filter

The first change was to switch to Sand (which also led to mistake #3, forgetting to switch off the heater when draining the tank) as the substrate as by now I  had a better idea of what fish stock I may be aiming for (Platys, Neon & EmberTetras & Panda/SkunkCorys) and also I was already thinking of switching to live planting.

Wasn't very long before the skull like rock, plastic plants & Tardis were gone to be replaced with 2 more pieces of bogwood and a variety of Swords & Java ferns which is pretyty much where i am today with the residents being the original 4 Platys (which may or may not survive my soft water as discussed elsewhere) being joined last Saturday by 10 juvenile Neon Tetras.

Ebay Pic

Tank V1

Tank V2

Tank V3
Last edited by mikeyw64 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

A great start to your log Mike.
I must admit I do prefer the newer versions.
Sand is so much nicer than gravel whilst real wood and live plants are more attractive.
Great job. :)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

So since introducing the Neons on Sat  I've been religiously checking the water parameters (& counting the Neons) every morning and also doing a daily small water change (5-10%)

To bring that up to date (inc today)

Morning #1 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon count 10
Morning #2 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10, <<Live planting + bogwood  introduced after this
Morning #3 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 5, PH 6.6, Neon Count 10
Morning #4 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10

Curious, wonder what caused the dip in the PH yesterday morning?

A misreading or chemistry at work given the Nitrates have dropped this morning?
Last edited by mikeyw64 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

@"Stephen"

The taller piece of wood is the only original feature ;o)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Morning #1 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon count 10
Morning #2 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10, <<Live planting + bogwood  introduced after this
Morning #3 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 5, PH 6.6, Neon Count 10
Morning #4 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10
Morning #5 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Looks to be stabilising. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
properphatboy

[quote="mikeyw64" pid='40595' dateline='1571814743']
So since introducing the Neons on Sat  I've been religiously checking the water parameters (& counting the Neons) every morning and also doing a daily small water change (5-10%)
[/quote]

Ah, counting neons is a fun past time isn't it?

As for the pH, perhaps something is buffering your tank a little, or there has been a change to the tap water? I'd be inclined to test the tapwater first.

Lovely looking tank. I'm also a sand convert, especially as it allows you to keep corys and the like. However, I do like a TARDIS...Image

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I have plans formulating to resurrect the TARDIS elsewhere ;o)

Tap water hasn't changed and it was only that one day it dropped, other than that looking good.
properphatboy

Ah, sorry I misread it. Thought it had gone up. Not sure on that one then sorry.

Be warned, this hobby is addictive. I got my first tank in march. I'm now cycling my third, which is for my daughter of course.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Last edited by properphatboy on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Morning #1 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon count 10
Morning #2 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10, <<Live planting + bogwood  introduced after this
Morning #3 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 5, PH 6.6, Neon Count 10
Morning #4 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10
Morning #5 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10Morning #6 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 7.4, Neon Count 10

Might call in the LFS this weekend for the next batch of residents :)