The Fireplace Community :: Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

right so it's all looking good, standing down from daily monitoring now.

Will be going a 50% water change next Weds before my hollibobs and will be checking the parameters before that.

On the algae front I've probably cut the light on time back by around 25% and whilst there is still some present (predominantly on the lower front in a line just above the sand and also on the LH side wall) its probably < 5% of what I was seeing last week (and its not built back up on the filter housing at all) :)

Which reminds me, might need to look at getting those plantlings off and relocated.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I wait until the plantlets detach themselves. I know they're strong enough then. I am presuming you mean those on the Java fern..... ;)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

aye those are the one, fairy snuff.

Typically how long do they stay attached?

I'm presuming in the wild they would just drioft off downstream and find something to attach too.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

It can vary, i’ve had some tiny ones appear floating around or like the other day when i did water changes up popped quite a decent sized plantlet decided to start floating about.
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

I tend to find them lodged in the filter outlet basket.
They always look to small to replant but, now I've discovered superglue (rather than fiddling about with cotton), I'll give the next one a go.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I nipped them off, came away very easily, when the pair of leaves were about 20mm long. I then superglued them onto the wood in my other tank, all done underwater, using a tube of Loctite superglue gel, I just held the plantlets at the base, teased out the roots and stuck it onto a blob of glue: it stays 'wet' underwater for a minute or so, didn't set instantly as some people say. The main plant has a new plantlet growing, which is now much bigger, and it won't come away, I can't pull it any harder for fear of damaging the plantlet or the leaf, I have tried twice, looks like this one will come away when its good and ready! :O
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

counting down the days till hollibobs :)

Main clean up and water change still due for weds however Friday (& yesterday) I was pretty certain I was missing an Ember. Had a really good count today (without pulling the tank apart though) and I think I have to officially call it as an Ember down (although no body seen).

On the plus side all the water parameters are good which suggests to me that the tank is handling any extra bioload from a passing nicely.

NB If i wasn't due to go away end of the week I would probably have a better look through the tank and be doing a good clean /water change in this scenario.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sorry you've lost another fish. :(
There does always seem to be at least one runt in a group that doesn't last too long though.......
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Or as I alluded too in another post, I do wonder if that one Platy is getting boisterous .
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Sorry for your loss :(