The Fireplace Community :: Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Ric wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:18 pm ...and once I've put my face on:

ROFL ...bet that mirror is broken!
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Ric wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:31 am Oh geez @mikeyw64 your fish look shell-shocked. Hopefully they'll settle after a few days. :)

One of the reasons I stopped any attempt at aquascaping (apart from not being very good at it ;)) is that I found the fish would all hang out around the plants and wood pieces but not make much use of the rest of the tank. By spreading out wood, rocks and plants it gives them a greater feeling of security, they always have somewhere to hide underneath or behind, which encourages them to use the tank more. See how they go, hope they'll get braver soon.
As I said , I did disturb them after bedtime.

This is their more normal behaviour (although the Panda Corys are a little quiet but give em a while and Mr Otto will rrobably make an appearance in about an hour as the lights dim a little)
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 1928 times

Star Trek! I had forgotton about that, I had a spell of binge watching it a few years ago took me straight back ::shifty::
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Staffylover wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 17:51 pm Star Trek! I had forgotton about that, I had a spell of binge watching it a few years ago took me straight back ::shifty::
All seasons of TNG available on Netflix :)

Actually I think Voyager and DS9 are as well, not Sure about TOS
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Seems one of your platties got the hump with your other platties. Perhaps you can keep some of the platy fry you're growing on to increase the numbers a little and maybe disperse any aggression?
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Ric wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm Seems one of your platties got the hump with your other platties. Perhaps you can keep some of the platy fry you're growing on to increase the numbers a little and maybe disperse any aggression?
They've been like that on & off ever since I had them (although there were 4 originally), They were the first fish added when I started setting fireplace up at the end of Aug last year before I knew any better.

Technically my water is way way to soft for them and I have no real desire to increase their numbers longer term .
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

nothing exciting to report in Fireplace this weekend, seems to have settled down nicely into its own rhythm. Sand is pretty much keeping itself clean and I'm always seeing triple zeroes. Typically getting a mediumish water change every 2 weeks now
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Just a couple of pics.

As I've said I'm really pleased with how Fireplace has settled in since I started it as my first ever aquarium back in Aug 2019.

Yes I've had problems with diatoms, hair algae, brown algae , cyanao bacteria etc etc but today its a daily dose of a couple of mill of liquid carbon & TNC lite and 2 weekly water changes

Some if the major changes between the end of August and today . There's only one piece of original decor still in there ;o)

mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Ok so had a chance for a full head count in Fireplace today as I took the wood & plants out to go catch the platy youth to go back into Castle (the Cardinal having been returned to Sunnyside)

Sadly it looks as though I'm 2 Pandas down, had been thinking over the last day or two that I hadn't seen all 6 of them together recently but then again there are plenty of hiding places
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Sorry to hear that.
Have you found any bodies/left overs at all?