Ruth’s Jewel 350ltr

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Stunning tank! Love the fish and plant combinations. Are things calmer since the giant danios went on to new pastures?!

I love the jungly look so will always vote for more plants, but it's personal preference. I think you've got a while to go before you need to cut back. Most fish seem to love more plants/interest/hidey places and feel more secure - they seem to sort out their own swimming space in between.

No need to change LEDs, that's one of their advantages over T8/T5 bulbs.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

ThePizzaMan wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 16:08 pm
Ruth wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 15:58 pm
ThePizzaMan wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 15:38 pm Just out of curiosity, but do you have the LED lighting in your Juwel 350?
I do yes. It’s over a year old now, so don’t know how often you are supposed to change them.
Pretty sure LED's are good until they aren't if you know what I mean! I'm not sure the spectrum will change over their lifetime and/or UV coatings will degrade like they will on the flourescent tubes.

How're you finding the tank? Easy to work in? Do you inject CO2? Use the internal filter provided? Can it be removed? Is the cabinet external filter-friendly or will I need I need a hole cutter? ROFL What I mean is, I suppose, can I hide all the piping and wiring inside the cabit without any intervention from a drill :D

Sorry about the bombardment of questions! I'm looking at getting one in the very near future but I can't find very many user reviews that aren't sponsored by Juwel themselves or that are specific enough to what I want to know, you see :rolleyes:

Nice set up by the way. I especially love your Harlequins.
I like Juwel - they are good sturdy tanks and the filter is more than ample (I’m pretty good with my water changes - about 40-50% every 10 days to 14 days.

The back is open so no drilling required again - a really sturdy cabinet you can trust with 350ltr of water!

I just needed a power head to increase flow.

Now - purely for the look of it I have asked about removing the internal box as it gets all yucky and is a bit of an eyesore and it also takes up a bit of swimming space. The guy who came out to give the tank a good clean (I know that’s just lazy but hey - £40!!). He said he would leave it another 6 months to a year because it will come out easier when the seal is a bit weaker...? That’s what he said.

I wouldn’t be getting an external filter for water clarity reasons - purely because the tank would look nicer! I may never bother. It may depend on the fish you want to keep tho - like those Malawi cichlids need crazy clean water don’t they - you would prob need extra filtration for that or discus or something!

I’ll check to see if I answered everything.

Oh and I just use easy to grow plants and some liquid co2 and a bit of fertiliser every water change. Low maintenance!!
Ruth
Posting Legend

Suse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 16:30 pm Stunning tank! Love the fish and plant combinations. Are things calmer since the giant danios went on to new pastures?!

I love the jungly look so will always vote for more plants, but it's personal preference. I think you've got a while to go before you need to cut back. Most fish seem to love more plants/interest/hidey places and feel more secure - they seem to sort out their own swimming space in between.

No need to change LEDs, that's one of their advantages over T8/T5 bulbs.
Thanks Suse! I will leave it I think .

Yes three angels are much less manic than 12 giant danios!! I had to clear the plants waaaay back for those thugs!! The giant danios were last seen happily zooming around in a 5 foot tank! 350ltrs was really too small for them!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Looks good to me Ruth. :)
Ruth
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 17:14 pm Looks good to me Ruth. :)
Hiya!!! What about ya?!

And thanks 👍
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Looking lush, healthy, peaceful and interesting.

As Suse said - more plants! Always more plants :D
ThePizzaMan
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 13 times

Ruth, thank you so much for your comprehensive reply!

Didn't realise it was sealed on. It should come off easy enough with a razor blade and some isopropyl alcohol. Something that will wash off easily with water if I get to it before I stick some water in.

My water is crazy hard here so yeah - definitely needing to consider some rift valley cichlids. I like both the Tanganyikan and Malawi varieties.
Ruth
Posting Legend

ThePizzaMan wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 17:32 pm Ruth, thank you so much for your comprehensive reply!

Didn't realise it was sealed on. It should come off easy enough with a razor blade and some isopropyl alcohol. Something that will wash off easily with water if I get to it before I stick some water in.

My water is crazy hard here so yeah - definitely needing to consider some rift valley cichlids. I like both the Tanganyikan and Malawi varieties.
No worries! Aye - I imagine you will need more filtration then. And as much space as poss - you have to pack those things in don’t you? Yes they did offer in my LFS to take the filter out before I set up, but I couldn’t afford that and also - I didn’t have the need to take it out and spend a load on an outboard filter.

Look forward to seeing what u do with yours! What ltr are u thinking?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Looking good Ruth :)
Malawi and rift lake tanks only need over filtering to keep the water clean because they’re overstocked, its so they cant claim territory and batter each other, although they might give it a go ;) :D
Ruth
Posting Legend

https://postimg.cc/BLh3Rxq5

Flip about 10 days growth!! I think I need to give them some swimming space!!