Mol_PMB's Tropical Tanks

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

I’m going to have to say goodbye to this old fish fairly soon, it’s one of my Brachyrhamdia marthae and has been gradually going downhill for a while. I bought them as adults and have had them several years, so I guess it’s just old age.

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Magic hands magic water ;)
Shame about the brachyrhamdia, although several years sounds good for them. How long do they live?
Mol_PMB

Reliable info is scarce but they aren’t as long-lived as Corydoras. Some sources say 5 years.
I got mine in March 2016 and they were at least a year old then, so they’re about 5 now.

On a happier note here’s one of my little L244s, with the tail of an adult in the gloom below:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Shame about the cat, but you've done well with keeping them. :)
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Oh sorry to read this, good age and obviously well cared for.
Mol_PMB

I’ve just done a thorough clean of the 240L tank and moved the Cory melini from there into the 450L.
In the process I took out all the decor and got a better look at a lot of the usually shy fish in the 240L.
I’m pleased to report that the rest of the Brachyrhamdia still look in good shape, though with some signs of aging. The two big B.meesi which I have had for nearly 5 years are very chunky and active, though one is developing dark blotches.

Here are some terrible snaps taken during the clean-out operation.

B.marthae (left) and B.meesi (right) also a twiglet and one of the two Pangio myersi born here:

The two B.meesi on top of each other, surrounded by B.marthae:

Better view of one of the giant Kuhlis, surrounded by catfish:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Interesting looking fish. Not too familiar with the many catfish species so pardon my question: when you mention the dark blotches, do they mean anything?
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Very pretty and unusual fish 🥰
Mol_PMB

Ric wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am Interesting looking fish. Not too familiar with the many catfish species so pardon my question: when you mention the dark blotches, do they mean anything?
In the middle picture, you can see there's a big dark blotch on the side of the lower fish, compared to the one above. When young, it didn't have this and I suspect it is an ailment of some sort brought on by old age. These fish aren't very common in the hobby so there's not much info about them. I often find it's counterproductive to try and treat old age with medicines!

Brachyrhamdia are interesting because some of the species mimic Corydoras colouration and they live together, just a few Brachyrhamdia in a big herd of Cories. These species in particular are very close matches to certain Cories that you will recognise:
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... es_id=2353
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=117
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=119

I used to have a B.imitator but he was a big old guy and passed away eventually. I've had the two B.meesi and (originally 10, now 8) B.marthae for about 4-5 years. At one stage I was trying to get them to spawn, but without success.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Thank you; interesting fish indeed.

I agree with you - old age is not an illness and thus does not need to be treated. Plus, there is always the consideration whether any treatment would cause more stress than benefit to the fish. As long as they're feeding and behaving normally, I think its kinder to just let them live out their lives in a 'retirement tank' :)