Fishtales Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Well the weather has gone freezing here and one of my heaters in the big tank has gone on the blink. The 300w heater broke but tank has a 200w running in it. I got my spare out and that wouldn't work either. I gave it a few slaps and it blinked into life, but is certainly not reliable.

So I have ordered two new ones, but they won't arrive until Thursday or Friday. I have put the radiator on next to the tank which is handily on the same side as the dodgy heater. As they are electric storage heaters it won't generate any heat until late on tonight but hopefully will help take the edge off the temperature in the front room.

Moral of the story, periodically check your spares are still working!

Update on 7ft tank. Still searching but nothing suitable found yet.

Update on fish flicking in the big tank. Started treating with Esha 2000 today, half dose and fish so far are tolerating it well. None of them look poorly as such, but have caught it early. Esha gdex will still arrive on Thursday, so if necessary can follow up with that. As I presume this flicking has come in with the new fish have decided to half dose the 125l tank also. The two new clown loach in the big tank arrived in the same bag as Florrie the BN, so it seems sensible to presume whatever they had she will be carrying as well.

I do like my supplier but was disappointed he put the Clowns and BN in a bag together and also the Panda Cory and Cherry Barb in the same bag too. If I order anything else from him I may request he keeps fish types seperate in future.
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Good idea. :)
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 1909 times

Sounds like you caught the flicking early that's really good news,
Travelling of corys, I am now really careful after bad experiences, they do not seem to travel well, unless they are really small I now insist on individual bags so that if one has a problem I will only loose that one and not them all, also if they are large I get them all double bagged as I've had the spines penetrate a single bag before, it may seem excessive but the little extra time it takes is worth it, should also mention that I have no decent shops within half an hours drive so any fish I buy has to do at least an hour in the bag bare minimum, other fish do not seem to suffer from travel stress so badly, panda corys are very small so perhaps not so risky and the BN has some protection of it's own but still I would not be happy either, I've not had a problem requesting single bags in a shop so hopefully you wont get any issue it's your money after all :]
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Fishtales wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 22:39 pm I do like my supplier but was disappointed he put the Clowns and BN in a bag together and also the Panda Cory and Cherry Barb in the same bag too. If I order anything else from him I may request he keeps fish types seperate in future.
The supplier might want to charge more for doing so but quite frankly for the extra money and peace of mind, it would be worth paying.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Fishtales
Posting Legend

Thanks guys, glad to see I am not on my own with my thinking regarding how fish are packed for transport.

That's really good planning @Staffylover Very sensible precautions for your newly acquired fish. And thanks yes fingers crossed the flicking will be nipped in the bud. I have had the new fish 3 weeks but the flicking of my fish (old and new) in the 5ft tank only started happening a couple of days ago so I am hopeful they will all come through it unscathed :)

Yet again proof quarantine is necessary. I really should have stuck to it, definitely kicking myself :(

I agree @Martinspuddle The extra possible expense of keeping them seperate would be worth it. I was panicked when I saw them all mixed together, and very anxious during the acclimatization period.
Last edited by Fishtales on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

...ahem...it seems another week has passed and still no pics...ahem... :dodgy2: just saying :swim2:
Fishtales
Posting Legend

Ric wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am ...ahem...it seems another week has passed and still no pics...ahem... :dodgy2: just saying :swim2:
You are as bad as @Martinspuddle Ric! ROFL

Pictures are on their way :rolleyes: :D
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Filtration Fluval 205
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Now, where have I read that one before? :D
Martinspuddle

Fishtales wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:08 pm
Ric wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am ...ahem...it seems another week has passed and still no pics...ahem... :dodgy2: just saying :swim2:
You are as bad as @Martinspuddle Ric! ROFL

Pictures are on their way :rolleyes: :D

::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: Image ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martinspuddle

@Fishtales ...did I mention, today would be awfully nice too! :D