Paul V's Big Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

If you do lots of big water changes, even when they’re small, they’ll keep the big appetites and grow for fun. Raising baby oscars is my favourite fishkeeping experience. I wish you could raise half a dozen and end up with a foot long breeding pair. That’s the ultimate experience if you love oscars. :)
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

black ghost wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:26 pm If you do lots of big water changes, even when they’re small, they’ll keep the big appetites and grow for fun. Raising baby oscars is my favourite fishkeeping experience. I wish you could raise half a dozen and end up with a foot long breeding pair. That’s the ultimate experience if you love oscars. :)
I do an 80% water change every week, probably a bit excessive but I like the tank being clean.
The pair I have are big personalities already, as I type they are at the front staring at me begging for more food!!!
My biggest fear is getting attached to them both and having to re-home one if they don't get on once older
black ghost
Posting Legend

PaulVerrall wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:52 pm My biggest fear is getting attached to them both and having to re-home one if they don't get on once older
That’s a big possibility. That or another tank. I think you’ll definitely get very attached to them. They’re a bit like raising children. You’ll see their personalities grow, from little kids into ‘older kids’, then adolescents, then adults.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:07 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:52 pm My biggest fear is getting attached to them both and having to re-home one if they don't get on once older
That’s a big possibility. That or another tank. I think you’ll definitely get very attached to them. They’re a bit like raising children. You’ll see their personalities grow, from little kids into ‘older kids’, then adolescents, then adults.
I love interactive fish, so really looking forward to watching these learn and grow. They've been around and met everyone else in the tank, the convict isn't too bothered by then and my sypsilum is around the same size and isn't phased at all.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Best description I heard/read about oscars, is they’re like having a “wet puppy” :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:12 am Best description I heard/read about oscars, is they’re like having a “wet puppy” :D
Haha they are! Big puppy dog eyes always looking at you, willing you to the food tub
black ghost
Posting Legend

PaulVerrall wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 am
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:12 am Best description I heard/read about oscars, is they’re like having a “wet puppy” :D
Haha they are! Big puppy dog eyes always looking at you, willing you to the food tub
Don’t get them too excited or they’ll jump into it... :)
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 13:08 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 am
Don’t get them too excited or they’ll jump into it... :)
One did a bit of a flop in the Qt tank when the Mrs was about to feed, made her jump!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

So just a bit of an update....
I'm considering removing all plants from the tank as it's just a constant battle everyday with them being dug up and eaten and ripped apart for fun. (I know I was warned @plankton )
Would just leave a theme of driftwood and sand.
Current stock :-
2 juvenile Oscar (growing at a rate I've never seen!!!)
1 juvenile red spot severum
1 juvenile green Severum
1 tiny baby red shoulder severum
1 juvenile red head Vieja sypsilum
1 male convict
1 female polar parrot
3 very large 12" blood parrots

Most of these will grow big and will colour up very nicely in time, hopefully!
Currently treating for parasites as one of the Oscars had a poo that was white, no other symptoms or with any other fish but better to be safe.

black ghost
Posting Legend

The Vieja might give the oscars some grief when it grows up...