Paul V's Big Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Re: Paul V's Big Tank Log

Post by PaulVerrall »

black ghost wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:55 am The Vieja might give the oscars some grief when it grows up...
Yeah, I'm hoping as I got them all very young and they grow together that they'll tolerate each other in adulthood. I'm prepared for the worst though as the 2 Oscars are inseparable at the moment but that could also change.
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Post by PaulVerrall »

So this morning made up my mind, I am going to have an unplanted aquarium!
The Parrots uprooted half my plants again last night, Oscars seem like they're playing tag with plants that are floating about.
All the plants I have are basic ones as I don't have soil or Co2 or anything as never fully invested due to the danger of this happening.
They have done nothing to reduce my nitrates which sit around 20ppm all the time.
They make a mess with bits floating around in the water off the plants all the time.
The only positive is I like the colour contrast but that's going to have to be from my driftwood against light coloured sand, black background and once the fish have grown should be very colourful.

Here's the blooming hooligans...

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."

codheadjohn

Post by codheadjohn »

What plants have you got, Paul? My tank is due next Wednesday, and I'll be wanting some plants soon after if you need a taker...

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Post by PaulVerrall »

They are swords and hornworts really. But not in very good shape

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

strap some anubias to the wood! that way you get the greenary without the uprooting. Don't give up altogether with plants. I had a full on planted malawi tank ( Granted, anubias and java fern )

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Post by PaulVerrall »

fr499y wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:46 pm strap some anubias to the wood! that way you get the greenary without the uprooting. Don't give up altogether with plants. I had a full on planted malawi tank ( Granted, anubias and java fern )
I've binned about £60 worth of jumbo Anubias, they were attached to wood, the little devil's rip the leaves and shred them, they started to rot.

That was my last that got damaged beyond repair a month ago. They also chew the roots of the wood aswell!!!

I was going to get some fake ones but they usual end up brown with algae.

The only think that actually lasts and is thriving is moss, Christmas moss and looks ok, so think I'm going to try and develop more of that

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Post by fr499y »

try some ferns, nice and cheap :)

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Post by PaulVerrall »

Just a quick update, I am now totally plant free and have gone over to artificial as I'm sure the little bastards were ripping up the real ones for fun and looking at me whilst doing it then passing them about like a trophy!

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to Xmas!

Sorry not about much at the minute, life is manic but in a good way!

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Gingerlove05 »

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 13:23 pm
Just a quick update, I am now totally plant free and have gone over to artificial as I'm sure the little bastards were ripping up the real ones for fun and looking at me whilst doing it then passing them about like a trophy!
ROFL thanks for that Paul, I’m actually sat here laughing at the thought, sorry i know I shouldn’t but in my head it’s hilarious :D
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!

PaulVerrall
Posting Legend

Post by PaulVerrall »

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 15:40 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 13:23 pm
ROFL thanks for that Paul, I’m actually sat here laughing at the thought, sorry i know I shouldn’t but in my head it’s hilarious :D
Haha the wife sits here in stitches, she thinks they do it on purpose, she is sure I have OCD around the tank and as soon as I level my sand nicely they look and dig and look and dig to wind me up!