Mantis' New Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
User avatar
mantis
Senior Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 15:53 pm
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 676 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by mantis »

BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 14:38 pm What method did you use for the water change?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a72qQ7WvSOE

That one.

Bought a much cheaper pump than the one George uses though, was worried it wouldn't be able to pump water through 10 metres of hosing and up to my tank but it managed fine and that was on the lowest setting!

Stuff I bought and used if you're interested.

Pump - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBVVQHJ/
Hosing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABY4BBO
Inlet - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Q98TBU

And a bucket to stick in the sink from poundland :D

User avatar
BigBen
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 16:19 pm
Location: Somerset, UK
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 544 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by BigBen »

Cheers, I'll see if I can find some longer hose as I reckon I'd need 15m. I guess to go further I'd need a slightly bigger pump.
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

User avatar
Andys temperate tank
Multi TOTM Winner
Multi TOTM Winner
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
Location: Sunderland
Has thanked: 3248 times
Been thanked: 1981 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by Andys temperate tank »

BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 14:38 pm What method did you use for the water change?
I think @mantis is now using a pipe to syphon straight from the tank to an outside drain, then using another pipe that goes from the sink straight to his tank. When I'm refilling I have the water pump in a bucket in the sink, set the water temp, half fill the bucket then turn the pump on with the tap still running.

I dose a full tanks worth of seachem prime as its filling up.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L: 48 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, breeding pair of platinum angelfish, 14 corydoras duplicareas, 1 blue ram.
55L cube 1: 1 blue ram
55l cube 2: platinum half moon betta (Thor).

User avatar
BigBen
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 16:19 pm
Location: Somerset, UK
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 544 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by BigBen »

Seen the video. I'll get myself some stuff ordered. Saves me getting sand in the sinks :)
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

User avatar
Andys temperate tank
Multi TOTM Winner
Multi TOTM Winner
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
Location: Sunderland
Has thanked: 3248 times
Been thanked: 1981 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by Andys temperate tank »

BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:36 pm Seen the video. I'll get myself some stuff ordered. Saves me getting sand in the sinks :)
It's so much easier. I'd be sick of my life if I was still changing the big tank with buckets.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L: 48 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, breeding pair of platinum angelfish, 14 corydoras duplicareas, 1 blue ram.
55L cube 1: 1 blue ram
55l cube 2: platinum half moon betta (Thor).

User avatar
mantis
Senior Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 15:53 pm
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 676 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by mantis »

Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:41 pm
BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:36 pm Seen the video. I'll get myself some stuff ordered. Saves me getting sand in the sinks :)
It's so much easier. I'd be sick of my life if I was still changing the big tank with buckets.
Aye, it was a pain the arse carrying 18 buckets back and forth for the large water change, then having to lift the bucket over the edge of the tank, which 99% of the time resulted in spillages and plenty of bad language. Feels like I'm wasting far less water this way as well, less down the sink and more in the tank lol.

I can now see how you can relax and have a beer during a water change :H

User avatar
Andys temperate tank
Multi TOTM Winner
Multi TOTM Winner
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
Location: Sunderland
Has thanked: 3248 times
Been thanked: 1981 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by Andys temperate tank »

mantis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:54 pm
Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:41 pm
BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:36 pm Seen the video. I'll get myself some stuff ordered. Saves me getting sand in the sinks :)
It's so much easier. I'd be sick of my life if I was still changing the big tank with buckets.
Aye, it was a pain the arse carrying 18 buckets back and forth for the large water change, then having to lift the bucket over the edge of the tank, which 99% of the time resulted in spillages and plenty of bad language. Feels like I'm wasting far less water this way as well, less down the sink and more in the tank lol.

I can now see how you can relax and have a beer during a water change :H
So what your saying is knowing I manage to have a beer during maintenance has made you switch how you water change? :grin:

I expect to be able to see a bottle in your next water change pic.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L: 48 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, breeding pair of platinum angelfish, 14 corydoras duplicareas, 1 blue ram.
55L cube 1: 1 blue ram
55l cube 2: platinum half moon betta (Thor).

User avatar
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Posts: 2121
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 am
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 1247 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by VikingMummy2015 »

Same water change method here. No alcohol but I did enjoy a cuppa whilst the tank was draining today.
240L: 6 cherry barbs, 2 honey gourami,
6 Otocinclus, 11 sterbai Cory, 6 standard rummynose, 4 golden rummynose tetra, 8 Congo tetra (added from QT 17/12)

57L: Ghost (Betta) & Pumpkin (nerite snail)

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.

User avatar
BigBen
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 16:19 pm
Location: Somerset, UK
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 544 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by BigBen »

I like the idea of the water change beer, but I'll be damned if I can find 15m of pvc hose that doesn't cost a fortune!
Discus, Corydoras, Loracaridinae, Dwarf Cichlids.

User avatar
mantis
Senior Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 15:53 pm
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 676 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Mantis' New Tank

Post by mantis »

Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 16:14 pm
mantis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:54 pm
Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:41 pm
BigBen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:36 pm Seen the video. I'll get myself some stuff ordered. Saves me getting sand in the sinks :)
It's so much easier. I'd be sick of my life if I was still changing the big tank with buckets.
Aye, it was a pain the arse carrying 18 buckets back and forth for the large water change, then having to lift the bucket over the edge of the tank, which 99% of the time resulted in spillages and plenty of bad language. Feels like I'm wasting far less water this way as well, less down the sink and more in the tank lol.

I can now see how you can relax and have a beer during a water change :H
So what your saying is knowing I manage to have a beer during maintenance has made you switch how you water change? :grin:

I expect to be able to see a bottle in your next water change pic.
Well it's not the whole reason but it certainly is a bonus 😂

Post Reply