New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Oooh....my Red Diamond Amazon sword has joined in the flowering!

It’ll be interesting to see if it opens up!
Also noticed a huge amount of green spot algae on the glass. It’s a distinct line across the back wall so must be the extra bit of sunlight hitting the tank as the sun sets. Will have to read up on the best way to tackle it!
Also noticed one of my sterbai has a paler “saddle”. More one side than the other. Wondering fungal? Whole tank was treated with Esha 2000 and Esha Exit a few weeks ago; worth repeating? No signs of anything on any other fish of any other species.

240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Nerite snails are good for green spot algae. You probably need a few in the big tank to have an impact. I like horned nerites (clithon Corona) the best personally, they are very industrious!

Or a non-scratch sponge scourer if you don't want more livestock ;)

Red sword is looking amazing, your plants are doing so well.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Yeah....I have Pumpkin in with Ghost and he’s about as much snail as I really want....i’ll See. I’ll get the filter floss to it with my water change tomorrow and drop the lights down a bit; I had increased them to 8.5 hours to encourage enough algae for the ottos but obviously it’s the wrong sort for them. And I’ve almost certainly been overfeeding in an attempt to build up the stock after the dodgy start. I mean, the plants aren’t complaining at the nutrients but there’s green spot on some of them too so time to get on top of it now the stock are generally improving.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

Your red sword is class VM. I hope you get the cory sorted.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Probably a mucus build-up with sterbai.
I think (@DoubleDutch will confirm if he sees this), it's Esha 2000 that sorts that problem.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

This week’s video. One fat Otto chowing on red pepper 🤣.

https://youtu.be/LHz4VKdD0Fk

I tested nitrAte today for once, just to check I wasn’t getting a huge build up from potentially over feeding (I know it all gets eaten and it gives the cories a shot at getting the frozen rather than relying too heavily on wafers and pellets). All good and not even 20ppm so that’s ok with me!

Ghost’s tank got a proper going over as I discovered hair algae. Took the opportunity to trim the hygrophilla and move it about a bit. Also switched back to the original nozzle outlet instead of the sponge, to try to get a little more surface flow. Ghost isn’t getting blown about at all but i’ll Keep an eye to make sure he’s ok with it.

Edited: forgot to add this hack I discovered this week. Uses up the last 2 sponges i’ve Had sitting around for 18 months since switching to eco alternatives!

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Love the hack!!!
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Looking really beautiful VM. Is the reddish pink plant ludwigia palustris? It is gorgeous.

I can't believe you are getting such amazing plant growth without CO2. I bet you're sneaking it in there when we're not looking ::twisted::

(I'm joking. I'm just jealous :grin: )
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I can’t remember exactly which Ludwigia it is 🤦🏽‍♀️. It was AquaEssentials I got it from. It’s surprising me too! Although I did have to trim my hygrophilla because the new leaves were going holey/Lacey. I’m trying to remember the ferts more often and once this bottle is finished (next year), i’ll probably go for EI kit and my New Years resolution will be to learn about aquatic plants properly.

Had a quick look and I think it’s the mini super red because it doesn’t need CO2 whereas Palustris does. It was originally in the 54L which was never going to be CO2.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Very nice, fingers crossed it stays that way now. :)