Stephen's 120L tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

Stephen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 19:31 pm The algae is annoying, the lights are only on for 6 hours on the 120L aquarium (8 hours on the big 550L aquarium).
I am strongly contemplating getting an external filter (with UV) for the 120L aquarium as I do not like the Juwel internal filter.
The only alternative is to have a more powerful pump (Juwel 1000L/h) but that will cost half the price of an external filter. (Do I throw good money after bad?)
Interesting that you have written this, as I’m having similar issues with my Juwel Rio 125 - presumably we have similar lighting as well as the same internal filter. My poor plants are covered in algae, I am cleaning them and the front glass multiple times per week, I have cut the lighting time right down, but I’m still not happy. For me, this is the first time I’ve had a tank with two lights, so I was wondering about disconnecting one! I’ve always had internal filters (usually Fluval) and been perfectly happy with them, so an external isn’t on my radar, but something just isn’t right with this flipping tank. I had looked at the more powerful powerhead that you mention too, but baulked at the price.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 19:42 pm I've had the feeling youd end up with an external on there Stephen. I'm surprised you've lasted this long.
Having never used an internal filter before, I thought I'd give it a go.
I spent money on 3 x biological media boxes and a small circulation pump.
The parameters are all good (zeros) and the fish appear happy, it's just the algae which makes things look unsightly.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

@Wishafish
Wishafish wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:27 am
Stephen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 19:31 pm The algae is annoying, the lights are only on for 6 hours on the 120L aquarium (8 hours on the big 550L aquarium).
I am strongly contemplating getting an external filter (with UV) for the 120L aquarium as I do not like the Juwel internal filter.
The only alternative is to have a more powerful pump (Juwel 1000L/h) but that will cost half the price of an external filter. (Do I throw good money after bad?)
Interesting that you have written this, as I’m having similar issues with my Juwel Rio 125 - presumably we have similar lighting as well as the same internal filter. My poor plants are covered in algae, I am cleaning them and the front glass multiple times per week, I have cut the lighting time right down, but I’m still not happy. For me, this is the first time I’ve had a tank with two lights, so I was wondering about disconnecting one! I’ve always had internal filters (usually Fluval) and been perfectly happy with them, so an external isn’t on my radar, but something just isn’t right with this flipping tank. I had looked at the more powerful powerhead that you mention too, but baulked at the price.
The tank itself is fine and I am sure the filter is fine too especially with myself rearranging the media and adding additional mature biological media.
I have the LED lighting and noticed, from day one, how much brighter the aquarium is when compared to my big 550L aquarium.
My plants are also covered in algae, I can't be bothered to clean them and they are not growing as well as I would expect (except for the Alternathera Reineckii ''Mini' Tropica 1-2-grow).
Some of the plants look dormant and I feel like pulling them up
I can only assume that it is the lighting and the strength of the lighting (too much).
Changing the filter to an external filter will not change that, all an external filter will do is give better water flow and more directional water flow through a spray bar.
I will contact Juwel and post the reply here.

Edit:
I have just noticed (doing some reading) that the two LED tubes are different.
One is LED Nature and the other is LED Day
The LED Nature is 6500k whilst the LED Day is 9000k, that may be the problem. 9000k is way too much whilst 6500k is about right.
I may change the LED Day to something less intense such as another LED Nature or even a LED Colour (4425k) which is a more a warm reddish lighting.
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

@Wishafish

I have just ordered a Juwel MultiLux LED Colour 438mm (4425k), this is half the k (kelvin) of the Juwel LED Day.
Juwel say "Ideally combinable with Juwel LED Day" but I'll combine it with the Juwel LED Nature.
Maybe using 2 x Juwel LED Nature would be better but I'll try the new combination.

(As I understand it)
The Juwel LED Day at 9000k is pushing more towards the blue light (great for marine tanks) but blue light or too much blue light can cause algae growth and stunted plants.
Plants require light more from the red spectrum for photosynthesis, the Juwel LED Colour will also enhance any red or blue colours in the aquarium (plants and fish).
Plants in a tropical aquarium only require minimal blue light, blue light regulates the opening of stomata, which are the tiny openings on leaves that control both water loss and the uptake of carbon dioxide, only a low intensity of blue is needed in a light spectrum for fully functional photosynthesis.
Plants do use the whole spectrum of light (day light), both blue and red light are important but getting the balance of light right is also important.

NASA (yes the National Aeronautics and Space Administration) have done some extensive work on the light used by plants:-
NASA wrote:Red Light (630 -660 nm) is essential for the growth of stems, as well as the expansion of leaves. This wavelength also regulates flowering, dormancy periods, and seed germination.
Blue Light (400 -520 nm) needs to be carefully mixed with light in other spectra since overexposure to light in this wavelength may stunt the growth of certain plant species. Light in the blue range also affects the chlorophyll content present in the plant as well as leaf thickness.
Green Light (500 – 600 nm) penetrates through thick top canopies to support the leaves in the lower canopy.
Far Red Light (720 – 740 nm) also passes through dense upper canopies to support the growth of leaves located lower on the plants. In addition, exposure to IR light reduces the time a plant needs to flower. Another benefit of far red light is that plants exposed to this wavelength tend to produce larger leaves than those not exposed to light in this spectrum.
nm = nanometre which is commonly used to specify the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation

Meanwhile I have reduced the lighting period down to 5 hours.
When the new LED arrives I will give the aquarium another clean and another water change (only done it yesterday) and then increase the lighting period.
I may also replace all the plants in the 120L aquarium with new plants of the same.
I will report back after about 2 weeks of the new lighting set up.