Bbroom89's Tank/s Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
bbroom89
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Sorry to ask a silly question, i am right in thinking kids play sand is ok in the aquarium?
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

It's not a silly question. ;)
You can use playsand, but it tends to compact and cause anaerobic/anionic areas which can contain bad gasses like H2S, this can cause ph crashes and dilute sulphurous acid (not sulphuric).
I suggest not using it because of the possible problems.
If you do go with it, you'll need to make sure you "stir" it just before every weekly water change (and you should stick to at least weekly changes).
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

bbroom89 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 16:02 pm Sorry to ask a silly question, i am right in thinking kids play sand is ok in the aquarium?
No question is considered a silly question, you either know or you don't know, so ask.

Play sand is a cheap sand which is very fine and lightweight.
plankton wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:32 am You can use playsand, but it tends to compact and cause anaerobic/anionic areas which can contain bad gasses like H2S, this can cause ph crashes and dilute sulphurous acid (not sulphuric).
I suggest not using it because of the possible problems.
I agree.
Being fine and lightweight it is easily disturbed and sometimes can even enter the filter and clog it up.
Play sand is not a good medium if you have (or intend to have) live plants, because it is so fine and lightweight it is difficult for plants to anchor their roots.
It is far better to use a sand such as the Unipac brand, I use Unipac Samoa fine sand (only fine by name as they also make a coarse version).
The Unipac Samoa fine sand is the correct grain size at 1000 µ to 1600 µ (1mm-1.6mm) and has some weight, ideal for plants to anchor their roots and suitable for fish such as Corydoras and/or eartheater type Cichlids (I have both).
I also like the Unipac Samoa fine sand as it is of a more natural colour, it costs around £13 for a 10kg bag.

If on a strict budget then I would suggest saving up for a better sand.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
bbroom89
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Thanks for the adivce,

So what is the difference between my 1mm gravel and say the Unipac 1mm sand? Will shell dwellers be able to move the gravel as it is so fine and no need to add a sandy side to my tank?

Also, slate rocks soaking and going in today hopefully!
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

bbroom89 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 pm So what is the difference between my 1mm gravel and say the Unipac 1mm sand? Will shell dwellers be able to move the gravel as it is so fine and no need to add a sandy side to my tank?
There is probably little or no difference.
You could describe my Unipac Samoa fine sand as being a fine gravel because it does look like a fine gravel without any sharp bits.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)