Bbroom89's Tank/s Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

bbroom89 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am I would have to use filtration to clear the water, the OH had only one condition, and that was no tea-stained water (My last tank before I dropped out of the hobby was heavily tea-stained, I loved it she did not!)

Good shout on the 60l test!
Nope extra filter needed, I only use sponge filters in my present tank and no chemical filtration. I'm only filtering with peat and adding botanicals, if you want pure blackwater, then you have to add it to maintain the colour in a aquarium.

Rainwater is another great resource you can use as Stephen mentioned, I don't use it purely now because we live right next to the sea.

Vale can tell you more, @Vale! ...you have to shout @Stephen, think he's hard of hearing these days. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
bbroom89
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

So a trip to one of my LFS didn't help the situation!

I was hoping for inspiration and some cichlids to really sway me that way but most were far to small to have really developed colour yet.

Someone may be able to help here but am I right in thinking Mbuna and Peacocks can't be kept together even though they are both Malawi?
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

correct.

Mbuna are algae eaters and peakcocks ( Haps ) are meat eaters.

This page is full of useful info on the two.
bbroom89

fr499y wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 15:44 pm correct.

Mbuna are algae eaters and peakcocks ( Haps ) are meat eaters.

This page is full of useful info on the two.
Thanks Fr499y,

Really undecided now, is there any cichlid which i can have a planted tank relatively safely?
60L - Super Delta Betta Male, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Purple Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Zebra Snails
240L - To be continued!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Nope! Anubias and Java fern is about it.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

bbroom89 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 16:03 pm Really undecided now, is there any cichlid which i can have a planted tank relatively safely?
I have to admit it's by far easier use the water you have and not have mess about with the parameters.

Are you going to use the 240 litre for this set up?

One member that springs to mind is @Lee_k he has a Mbuna setup which if I recall is around the same size aquarium as your 240.

His Mbuna blog

No doubt the others will tell who else keeps Cichlids, seem recall @Blackghost and @codheadjohn do. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
bbroom89

Thanks any other tank blogs are welcomed to give me an idea!

I Will use the 240 for this setup, I really want this to be a one and done thing though so would rather take time, money and effort at the start to get an easier life over the time I have it!

Annoyingly I think I like Malawi's for colour and Tanganyikan's for behaviour (Seem to be able to get all levels of water column covered with these)
240L - To be continued!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Somebody rang? I've just come in from an all-day gardening session. I was hailed upon twice during the day, then when it started snowing half-an-hour ago, I figured enough was enough.

It looks like the thread has now moved away from soft water considerations but, for the record ...

I don't use rainwater, I'm afraid. I collect RO/DI (reverse osmosis, de-ionised) water in a garden butt, shove a sockful of peat into it and let it stew between water-changes. Oak and Catappa leaves are added directly to my tanks, having first been briefly boiled ; the 'tea' left in the pan is then distributed to tanks according to my whim at the time!
bbroom89

Vale! wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 17:49 pm Somebody rang? I've just come in from an all-day gardening session. I was hailed upon twice during the day, then when it started snowing half-an-hour ago, I figured enough was enough.

It looks like the thread has now moved away from soft water considerations but, for the record ...

I don't use rainwater, I'm afraid. I collect RO/DI (reverse osmosis, de-ionised) water in a garden butt, shove a sockful of peat into it and let it stew between water-changes. Oak and Catappa leaves are added directly to my tanks, having first been briefly boiled ; the 'tea' left in the pan is then distributed to tanks according to my whim at the time!
Glad you have thawed Vale!

I don't think soft water will fit into my low hassle ethos for this time around, my hopefulness for an easier solution without impacting financially too much or logistically too much (To keep the OH remotely happy!) seems to be further away!
240L - To be continued!
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 1909 times

another option to consider is a company called spotless water they were for window cleaners and have stations across the country it seems fairly cheap and convenient if you have one near to you?
Can't help with the cichlids but know that others on here keep them no doubt they will be along soon
https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Aquarium
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish