Stephen's 550L tank log (summary & continuation)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Daveymancs
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Great video, they look really relaxed and happy 😃
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Nice fish Stephen! - Are there Cupids full size now or still size to go? - Cant tell if there still growing or if its just cus there in such a lovely large tank!
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

@Lee_k
Lee_k wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 20:15 pm Nice fish Stephen! - Are there Cupids full size now or still size to go? - Cant tell if there still growing or if its just cus there in such a lovely large tank!
Thanks Lee

They are still juveniles and have some growing to do.
I guess they are 2.5-3.0 inches at present and will grow to a little over 4 inches.
Maybe another 12 months before they reach close to adult size.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

@Stephen your EHEIM streamON+ pumps, how often do you clean yours?

Mine are running fine but I have noticed the impellers do look a tad brown in colour now. :blush:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

@Martinspuddle
Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:56 am @Stephen your EHEIM streamON+ pumps, how often do you clean yours?

Mine are running fine but I have noticed the impellers do look a tad brown in colour now. :blush:
I have cleaned and re-moved my Eheim streamON pumps but only temporary.
With the pleco poopers I used to clean them every few months, around the grills (the pumps not the plecos).
Like yourself the impellers looked a bit green/brown but nothing to get concerned about, it was just a very thin layer.
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

It's been 4 weeks since I added fish to the 550L aquarium.
I'm barely 60% stocked at present and itching to add more fish from my list.

I have found some Bleeding Heart Tetra (Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma) which have recently arrived in from Peru or Brazil at my favourite LFS.
They are in quarantine at present (at LFS) and won't be available for another week or so.
I'm thinking of adding 15 x Bleeding Heart Tetra to the 550L aquarium.

Corydoras from the list are evading me at present.
I have found some Corydoras C123 at Aqualife which are from the Rio Nanay, they look nice from pictures.
They may be an interesting addition but I need to think about it for a little longer. I would prefer fish from Peru or UK tank-bred fish as opposed to commercially bred in Asia.
The Corydoras agassizii came in from Peru but I have a suspicion that they are all the same sex due to them all being the same size and shape, time will tell.

It may take a little longer but I'll get there.
Last edited by Stephen on Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Surely tank-bred fish are more in the line for conservation than getting the wild-caughts?
You also tend to get more internal problems with wild-caught...... ;)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

@plankton
plankton wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 am Surely tank-bred fish are more in the line for conservation than getting the wild-caughts?
You also tend to get more internal problems with wild-caught...... ;)
I think I had a senior moment, I didn't type what I was thinking.
I wrote: "I would prefer fish from Peru as opposed to UK tank-bred fish".
I meant "I would prefer fish from Peru or UK tank-bred fish as opposed to commercially bred in Asia". (I have editted the original post accordingly)
I'm referring to Corydoras species. There are so many weak fish coming out of Asia (c.panda, c.sterbai etc..).
I actually don't mind "wild-caught" Corydoras as it keeps the strain/lineage true.
If they (wild-caught) are in the UK for sale then I would prefer someone caring, (like myself), to buy and keep them than someone else who may not be as caring.

I hope that makes better sense. ;]